Author Topic: dewalt not working  (Read 911 times)

saw dust john

dewalt not working
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »
Saw has been working but yesterday found out a had no speed change available.

Today, doesn't want to run, I hear a little noise from inside, liked tick, tick, tick. Checked for a bomb, not there so I assume it something inside trying to make the arm go up and down.

Fuse is good, tapping on motor does nothing. Air under speed control does nothing. Took out brushes motors brushes , put back the correct way. The were good

It's getting power and will do this under load or not.
Checked Rick Henderson's site--no mention of anthing smilar.

Anybody have an idea.
So now I go out and it's working perfect.  I think it's under the impression that I only use it when it want me to, not when I want to!
It has been used all day, so it's not overworked.

TIA

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:26:38 pm by saw dust john »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: dewalt not working
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »
I have read several post about saw dust getting in the switch and causing problems. Some people tape it up to keep it out and use a foot switch.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:41:10 pm »
Some switches can be dismantled and cleaned, I had one on a lathe I used to own and had to clean it out on a regular basis, take it out and have a look
Jimbo

carlton4143

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »
Your switch might have a lose wire. I had one come back to Woodcraft doing the same thing. I took the switch apart and thightened the wire and it ran fine.

Carlton

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »
The switch on the DeWalt 788 can be disassembled and cleaned. You have to remove the black cover that hold the controls with a #25 torks driver. Disconnect the two wires from the switch. Remove the switch by pushing in the two prongs in on the bottom of the switch and push it out. If you have a woodworkers vise, mount the switch in the vise so it stays upright. With a thin screw driver gently pry the sides of the switch and lift off the red toggle. After the red toggle is removed, look into the bottom of the switch and observe how the contacts are sitting. Remove them and clean where metal will contact metal with some sandpaper. Reassemble and reinstall the switch.
Dan In Southern California

saw dust john

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »
thanks DGman for the step by step.  Don't know if I could have done it without the help.

1/2 hour later, no go.
Next day, no go.

So I follow the step by step instructions on how to remove switch and clean-- really strange how the contacts just sit at the bottom. Back together, no work, pulled out fuse holder, PIA, fuse looks fine. Put fuse holder back in--works.
Don't know what pulling the fuse did.
Will test out and report back after couple of days.

SMF

Teknoromi