Author Topic: Retiring Soon  (Read 1876 times)

Rightarm

Retiring Soon
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
    Man, I'll be retiring from the THFD this coming July. 30 years. The time has flew by so quick. My wife & I were talking the other night about different things. Then she surpises me. Lets go on vacation! We have never taken a vacation any longer than 3 days. I guess were homebodies. Having kids, now grandkids, we just never went anywhere. Stayed home. I asked were would you want to go? I couldn't believe it when she said, "How about New Orleans". You have been there several times on business, specing out Fire Trucks, lets go there. Wow could of pushed me over with a feather. Retiring, never thought the day would come. You work toward this goal. Now the time has come. Kind of scary. Change. Nobody likes Change. Dave :o

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Retiring Soon
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »
Wow Dave! It must be a good feeling to see the light at the end of the tunnel! For me, I don't even know where the tunnel is! Congratulations!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:04 pm »
Yeah but just think of all the scroll sawing you can do.  It isn't like you will have nothing to do.  retired people are busier than people with jobs.
I'm from North Dakota

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:14 pm »
So Rightarm a vacation, sounds good to me. Enjoy your last couple of months working and than have a great retirement.
David

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
    Thanks everybody. I'm going to line up a little part-time job at a auto parts store. And I'm going to focus on my scrollsawing. Got to keep busy. Still to young to sit around and do nothing. I was lucky enough to get hired on FD, but really lucky to be hired at 22. And in todays world I'm really lucky to have a pension with benefits. Dave 8)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »
Dave...You are a very lucky guy indeed!

After I retired, the FIRST time, it took about 6 months of having nothing I HAD to do every morning and then I got BORED and went back to work at a job I didn't have to consider a necessity. Went to work as an "Assembler/Maintenance Man for a brand new soon to be opened Wal~Mart. I had a blast for about 4 years and then 'retired' again.
Since that time between my hobbies of computers, woodworking/scrolling and volunteering I now have to keep a 'datebook' in my pocket at all times to be sure i don't miss anything I WANT to do!

I know you are a 'giving' kind of guy or you would never have been a FireFighter so look for an opportunity to keep giving by Volunteering at something.
Absolutely nothing beats the feeling you have contributed!

My Best Wishes to you.... and take that vacation and try some frequent 'short vacations' too!
Those mini-vacations during the week are great, not crowded and lots of FUN!
Also my best to your wife, having you around more should be great for you both if handled right!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Rightarm

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:53:24 pm »
    Yep your right GB. I think the thing that scares me the most is, "Will we be able to make it"? I think I've invested right. Don't owe on anything but my house. Got to pay to live somewhere. Chris & myself have always been & done everything together. so that won't be a problem. Just need to keep myself busy. I will donate some of my projects, I really like doing that. It will be different not having to be somewhere, everyday of the week. I've been very fortunate to have worked with some of the best Fire Fighters around. They thought me to be safe, not to become excited in an emergency situation, or to keep a cool head. When I was a Front Line Captain, my crew went home at the end of our shift. I could not ask for anything better. Dave 8)

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:37:56 pm »
A big Congratulations Dave, enjoy yourself, you have certainly earned it. I retired two years ago, my biggest adjustment was when it came time to go to work, I still felt like I had to get ready for work, but it passes. Dave, this is your time to go and do the things you and your wife always talked about.

E N J O Y ! ! !

Mark

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »
Dave you will be sorry when I retired I never had a minute to my self I don't even have time for golf now and when I was working I used to play 3 games a week, so see what you are in for.
I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have these last 7 1/2 years, thats reminds me I better go as we are of on holiday in 5 minutes
Jimbo

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 03:20:11 pm »
    Thanks Box, and Jimbo. Big adjustment. And damb Jimbo thats what I was looking to do most, was play more goof, I mean golf. Dave 8)

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »
Congratulations Dave on your upcoming retirement; that time will be here in a blink of an eye and you?ll be young enough to really enjoy some of the best years of your life.

I retired at age 57, after working Forty years at two major Public Utilities.  I was fortunate to have had a career that I loved and enjoyed, very much, but it only took me about five minutes to get used to retirement.  I had about a year of home projects all lined up and then I discovered the joy of making Intarsia?s, something that I?ve never gotten tired of doing, going on twenty years.

Live life to the fullest and enjoy every minute of your retirement; you've earned it!      
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:06 pm »
Congratulations Dave on retirement. If you are like me you will love it. I started working for the fire department right out of high school at 18 yrs old. Retired at 48 with 30 years. The youngest person to retire in our fire departments history.  I wake up in the morning and do what ever I want to.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »
I've been retired for nearly two years and if it wasn't for scrolling, woodworking, home repair, travel, visiting kids/grand kids,church activities,American Legion, yard work, computer time, exercise, fishing, swimming, watching movies, watching the Packers, chasing my honey around the house and having an occasional libation I don't know what I'd do with my time. ;D   Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

dankc908

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 06:40:35 am »
Dave - If you're worried about vacations and scrolling not being able to fill your time then buy a lathe.  Egads - I can't wait until I can retire (5 years!) then I can have the time to do what i WANT!!!

Rightarm

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
    Russ. I was a little older than you, but there was age limitations 21-35 y/o. I turned in my app. when I was 21 & didn't get hired until I was 22. Someone asked not long ago, if I had it to do over, would I have went on the FD. I thought about it for a second and told them no. I would have went on to collage and became a landscape architect like my mother wanted me to do. But I wouldn't have missed this ride for the world. Met a lot of interesting people, did a lot of interesting things. Dave 8)

SMF

Teknoromi