Author Topic: Foot Switch Question  (Read 2526 times)

kalipbean

Foot Switch Question
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »
Hey all, quick question. I purchased the foot switch which is an awesome upgrade, but have been wondering...

Is it bad for the saw motor to let go of the foot switch when the saw is running at say...half or full speed? I have been turning the speed down, then letting go of the switch. Seems to me if the saw starts in half or full speed it might not be good for the saw but seeing what everyone else does?

Thx

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Foot Switch Question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:22:19 am »
I never change the speed when I turn the saw off and on. I don't use a foot switch, but it's no difference than using the saws switch. The motor can take it starting at any speed.
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 02:10:10 am »
Don't see the benefit of a foot switch unless the on off switch is not in easy reach
              Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:28 am »
"Is it bad for the saw motor to let go of the foot switch when the saw is running at say...half or full speed?"

The answer is no. The motor is designed to start or stop at any speed with the foot switch or the saw switch.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:12 am »
I'm with Jimbo on this one. My on off switch is right handy but I use a foot switch to turn on the fans and vacumn.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
There are times when cutting that you need to shut down the saw and do not want to let go of the project.  I don't know how I got along without my foot switch.  Plus for the 788 and it's temperamental on off switch, some/most users that i know have placed tape over it to keep the dust out and use a foot switch instead.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:09:07 pm »
I'm fairly new at scrollsawing and after reading the posts early on about the power switch on the 788 failing because of the dirt, I put it in the "ON" position, taped over it, and installed a foot switch with momentary contacts.  That means I have to keep my foot on it when I want the saw to run, so it's a bit like a dead-man's switch for trains and boats.  It's a lot faster than reaching up and turning the saw on or off with my hand and lets me keep control of my project with both hands.  Love it!

I don't adjust the saw speed before turning it off or on.  There's really no need.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

kalipbean

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:56:04 pm »
Thanks for the posts everyone, thatl save me some time not having to keep turning it down everytime.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »
i was just wondering if a foot switch works with a single speed scrollsaw.me personally i'm with jimbo dont feel the need to have one but my neighbor as a single speed saw someone gave him and he was asking me about it?? 

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:50:54 pm »
Same story, Newfie...
with the foot switch, momentary 'on' you never have to take your hands off the workpiece.
More control of the project and instant 'off' if the blade breaks or comes loose from the holder.

I started without one and now have one installed and don't know how I did without.

Second greatest thing since pockets on shirts!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 02:26:17 am »
I still don't like the idea of a foot switch for my saw as I sit on a high stool and like to move my feet around so they don't go to sleep, I also like to stand occasionally but not to often as I am  bit lazy or tied at times, I have thought about what Judy does for vac and fan but as yet have not bothered and truthfully have not missed one
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:18:24 am »
i was just wondering if a foot switch works with a single speed scrollsaw.me personally i'm with jimbo dont feel the need to have one but my neighbor as a single speed saw someone gave him and he was asking me about it??  
newfie, Yes they will work with a single speed saw.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:27:42 am »
Jimbo,
I use the kind that when it is on I can remove my foot and then have the luxury of being able to move around.  I just tap it to turn it off again.  You could mount it up higher, and use your knee to turn it on and off as well.

To each his own though.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:26 am »
Hey, DUNK, I like the idea of the knee switch.  Gonna try that as soon as I get another switch.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »
Knee switch?

That is an idea stolen from the sewing hobbyists and Pros!

They have been doing it since the electric sewing machine was first invented!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi