Author Topic: breaking blades  (Read 797 times)

Dav

breaking blades
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:31:41 pm »
I order some of the fdns2/0[new spirals] and I could cut fairly good with them still need some practice yet, but I noticed after a few hole changes they break on the top where they go in the clamp on my dewalt.I must be doing something wrong or the saw doesn't like the spiral end. Any ideas for me to try?

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: breaking blades
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
Couple of things you might try.  Make sure your blade holders are centered.  If they are off, you might be creasing the top of the blade into the hole, weakening it.  If you are having a tough time getting the blade to clamp down because of the spiral,  take a small hammer and tap it flat. 

sailer5373

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:06:20 pm »
Try lubricating the tips of the thumbscrews.  They are supposed to turn independant of the rest of the thumbscrew.  Check out the editors column in the Fall Issue of Scrollsaw Magazine. The issue where they tested different scrollsaws. (on front cover) Page 6. :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »
Don't get any lubricant on the tip of the thumb screw as this will cause the blade to slip!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »
Are the tops of the blades kinking first and after a couple of times they break, if so that could because of you clamping the blade a wee bit tight in the holder causing it to kink and then breaking.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

SMF

Teknoromi