Author Topic: STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2463 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen....

DO" Not dump a whole fresh hot cup of coffee on your desktop when the keyboard drawer is extended.

The keyboard protected the family 'jewels' from serious damage but the keyboard is DEAD!
I had to go to my 'parts' bin and select a different keyboard.
I am now using one of the wonderful ERGONOMIC 'divided' keyboards.
It's taking me twice as long to type since I have to keep going back and correcting misteaks!

Tiny electrical switches and strong, black, sweetened coffee make a real mess.
I opened it up this morning and decided that it was a lost cause to try and clean and re-use so it went to the computer re-cycle box.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »
Awww! I feel your pain!  I HATE those divided keyboards! I type like an idiot on them and it takes forever!  Maybe if you let it dry out all the way for a day or so and pray to the computer gods it will work. 

:(  Sorry for your loss!  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »
I know you are going to hate me for saying this GB, but I am not a coffee drinker, nor do I sit at a computer desk. I use a laptop that sits on the flat armrest of my chair on the opposite side of my side table. So if any thing spills, It won't be on my computer!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »
Thanks for reminding me, I just put the cap back on the pop bottle I was drinking from.
Good luck getting used to the split keyboard, I really don't like those.
MrsN

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »
I have been a computer 'hobbyist' since the early 80's and have not had this kind of mishap until now so I don't feel too bad. Besides I have 5 more keyboards in my 'pile' so it was not like it cost me anything.

Sheila I actually think I am getting used to this thing. If I could just remember to leave my hands on the wrist-rest I can go fairly well.
Biggest pain of the event was all the coffee stained 'stuff' that I had all over the desk.
It was one of those 'freebie' coffee mugs that is bigger on the top than the bottom so it fits in the cup holder of the auto.  It hit on the edge of a 'thumb drive' and once I let go there was no stopping it.
I usually use one that is just the opposite and has rubber on the bottom so it won't slide around.

Actually the 'Computer Gods' have pretty well blessed me over the years.

Oh My God! Now I'm in for it!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline tinker1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:27:10 pm »
I washed a keyboard once in the dishwasher,that had pop spilled on it thanks to a family member (no one would fess up) it was older and I had a backup in my parts drawer just incase so i figured what the heck.
I ran in regular wash, no soap and helped dry it with a hairdryer, (also air dried it for a couple days as I remember).
worked until I upgraded to a new computer.
maybe I just got lucky

tinker

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:31:02 pm by tinker1 »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
I have had costumers do that to the older computer keyboards with AT and PS/2 plugs and fry the whole motherboard. They where quit upset when I told them they might as well buy a new computer.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:48 pm »
It was good you had some extra keyboards. I never could get used to those ergonomic ones. I felt like it was twice as much work to type something, but I guess It was ergonomic. Ha Ha.

Mark

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:37 pm »
Red wine does not go well on TV remotes either, have you tried isoprill of alcohol?
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:49 pm »
I just get the cheapest keyboard they have at Best Buy.  It's only about $15 so it doesn't bother me much if I do something to it.  I think I've had this one for about 5 years now.  I'm probably due for a mini-disaster.   :)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 04:44:56 am »
Found this wandering around one of my 'supplier sites!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340410

~~~GB~~~

Wandascroller

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 05:06:58 am »
GB I have one of those mugs & was drinkimg from it while reading your post!!
I have knocked it over a couple of times recently BUT not near the computer thankgoodness.
I have actually been thinking of how I could modify Steve's mug pattern to fit the Thermo cup into.

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 07:19:29 am »
Been there done that but not with coffee as I don't like coffee, it was coke and my nephews at that. This was a couple of years back since than I only use bottles with those holes in the top where the top does not have to come off to drink from it. I can imagin what it looked like your end GB. Like the link, nice invention.
David

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:35:39 pm »
My coffee cup is from my boat.  It's shaped a bit like an upside down funnel with a bit of rubber on the bottom.  Made for being able to use it while rockin' and rollin' in the waves.  The coffee doesn't slosh out, doesn't slide, and it won't upset.  And the narrower top opening keeps the coffee a bit warmer longer.  Maybe you need to visit a marine store? 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:20:18 pm »
He needs to buy a sippy cup like my grandson has.  :D  ::)  ::)  ::) LMAO
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi