Author Topic: Blade size question  (Read 1028 times)

boxmaker

Blade size question
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »
I normally use FD-UR#3 and #5 and #7, lately I have been cutting more detailed cuttings and I want to order some new blades. I like the FD-UR#3, but  was going to order some smaller blades, what I was wondering is the difference between the FD-UR#1 and the FD-SR 2/0, I see they both use the same drill size, will one cut tighter turns than the other. I am not that familiar with the smaller blade sizes. What would you recommend for cutting portrait style patterns. I generally stack cut 2 or 3   1/4" pieces. Spirals are not an option, I tried them when I first started and never liked them.

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Blade size question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »
Hey Mark, You can try a FD UR#1, but that still might be to big. I did get some FD SR 2/0, but I can't control them. So when I need small blades I use Olsen 2/0R.
I'm not a fan of spirals, but when a flat blade won't cut it, I use FD NS spiral blades, usual in 2/0 size.
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:25:57 pm »
Mark, Yes you will get tighter turns but they are a little hard to control.  Slow your machine way down and take your time.  If your stack cutting, make sure your table is square and the blade is feeding evenly.  It's real easy for a blade that small to get off track on the lower levels of your stack and you wont know it until its too late.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:38:06 am »
Small blades are harder to control when stack cutting. The FD-SR 2/0 is sweet for thin material and fret work. If you need detailed cuts with a smaller blade, I recommend limiting the stack to two 1/4", FD-UR No. 1 and a little slower speed. That has worked for me.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:17:13 am »
I want to thank everyone for the information. I did slow my speed down when I started cutting the fretwork, using the FD-UR#3 and it helped, but I figured a smaller blade would give me better turns. I think I will order some FD-SR 2/0 and a few of the FD UR 1 and some Olson 2/0 R today. I figured I 'll just pick a project and switch out different blades until it feels right. Thanks again, I know this was a difficult question to answer, but I now have a better understanding of what small blades can do.Thanks again.

Mark

SMF

Teknoromi