Author Topic: belt/disc sander  (Read 4018 times)

emtdonald

belt/disc sander
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »
was wondering if i should go with a belt/disc sander together. i have a detail sander but its hard to use it on small parts. what  brand is good. im looking at the porter cable at lowes.
thanks

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: belt/disk sander
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »
Hey Don, I have many sanders in my shop including a belt/disk sander.
Mine is a 6x48 belt and 9" disk. While I don't use the belt sander on every project, it is great to have when I need it. I rarely use the disk sander. I also have a 1"x30" belt sander that is also useful. But the sander I use the most is my 5" random orbital sander. That gets used on every project.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: belt/disc sander
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »
If you can afford it I would defiantly recommend the combo. You won't regret it. Any name brand will be good, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Craftsman. Check out there features and HP rating and shop for the best price.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

emtdonald

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:39:37 pm »
the porter cable is 179 for the belt/disc combo. christmas is close ill have to tell mrs santa to put it on my list. the only bad thing is its only one speed.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:10 pm »
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, and had some very helpful replies, here is the link to the thread http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=2768.0

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:31 am »
I still stand by what I say the disc sander on the combos spin to fast and burn the wood specially on end grain, the belt sander is a must
Jimbo

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:26:02 am »
After the last thread on this subject, I got to thinking about what I use each for.  Have to have my belt sanders - got 2. One unit has a 10" disc and the other has an oscillating spindle.  Need both.  For shaping odd pieces, I really need the disc and for interior rounded objects, I need the spindle.  There is no good answer for someone else as to what is "best".  It all depends on what you make the most.  A variety of hand sanders is also a must.  I keep a random orbital but use it the least.  I have 3 different 1/4 sheet sanders that I use the most. ( More control, least expensive sandpaper).  I keep different grits on each so I don't have to change the paper every time I need to move on.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:10 am »
I work a lot with my Delta 6" disk sander, but I just picked up a Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle sander. It's a great deal at Home Depot for $200.00

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »
Not long brought a 6 inch belt/disc sander (disc is 9 inch).
Find it hard to source belts fine enough in NZ, but have just managed to score some 120 grit,  (price I think will be about 16 NZ Dollar) damn machine came out with 40 grit belt.
Don't use the disc a lot that had 40 grit on it also, not much good to a scroller.
Have a 1/4 sheet sander and a B/D Mouse sander with Velcro backer (great for paper changing).

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »
Merlin try the Power Tool Center I get mine from them as they are the cheapest, and they only go down to 120 grit and that is fine enough they soon wear down, the disc sander spin to fast and burn the wood, I have a disc 10 1/2 " and run it on the lathe at 700rpm's and that is great
Jimbo

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 05:38:20 am »
Jimbo: Thanks for that...but the Power Tool Centre up here in PN don't stock 120 grit and if I want it they will get it if I buy the box 10-15 belts @ 16 bucks.

Mitre10 came to the party and I only have to take one.
I too use the lathe for sanding.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 06:43:47 am »
I have never had a problem with burning the wood on my disc sander on the combo,I use it allot. I just take my time and don't push the wood to hard.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

sp_343

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 07:39:58 am »
If you can afford it, I would get one.  Mine has saved me many hours of hand sanding.  One of the best tools I have ever bought.

SMF

Teknoromi