Author Topic: Selling Stuff at Work  (Read 1056 times)

Spartan scroller

Selling Stuff at Work
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:40:44 pm »
A reply on another thread led me to start this one and ask the question of those of you who have another full time job if you ever take the things you make to work and sell them.  I work in an office with a lot of women and have taken a lot of the things I made to work and displayed them on my desk.  I have been very successfull selling things at work and so far (knock on wood before I scroll something on it) management hasn't said a thing about it.  My boss has even bought some of it. If any of you do this I am wondering a) what are your results, b) have you met with any discouragement from management  and c) have you run into any other pitfalls with it?

Bill P

Re: Selling Stuff at Work
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »
A). My results have been great.  I've sold everything I've ever made, with about 90% of that from co-workers.  I work for a trucking company and get special orders on a monthly basis.  I started getting Christmas orders in July.  B). I've never been discouraged by management.  Many of my orders have come from Ownership.  C). The only pitfall I've come across is a couple of people who've broken some of the delicate fretwork and want me to fix it for free.  I'll do it because I've made about $1,200 in sales at the office.

Bill

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »
As long as it does not interfere with your work I can not see why there should be a problem
Jimbo

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:38 pm »
i have been selling at work for about 5 years now. I made some hair barrettes last summer that sold very well. I have also gotten more work from friends of co-workers. I made some chimes and sold them at work and have had other chimes brought to me to re-string or re-stain. I have a certain co-worker that buys alot of my stuff so I try to give her a little extra attention. She gets the second of whatever I make (the wife gets first choice). My problem is I try to give her a cheaper price so I have to make sure no one is around when I sell to her. No problem with management so far. Mike

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:59:07 am »
I take stuff to where I USED to work.  As long as your not taking too big a bite out of their time, they probably won't mind.  I still get orders from my ex-coworkers.  Their friends and families call regularly.

dankc908

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:56:29 am »
I take my turned pens to work and sell them all of the time "out of pocket".  I show them off, simply, by using them.  I plan to take a pen stand I made (holds 7 pens) and display several on my desk after the 'silly season' (i.e. Christmas craft show season).

Rightarm

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:55 am »
    I have never had a problem doing this. I just sold my golfball display case to the Chief. The Mayor has taken interest, and wants to see my things. So my answer would be no, never had a problem. Dave 8)

SMF

Teknoromi