Author Topic: Your opinion on Flea Markets  (Read 3002 times)

SamCec

Your opinion on Flea Markets
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »
I've been scrollsawing for about 9 months. I try to practice everyday for at least an hour. Of course many days that can't be done. My wife and some of my friends keep telling me I should get a table at a Flea Market. I'm not sure if they are just being nice to me or really mean it when they say "I'm doing some nice work".

I have been toying with the Flea Market idea but I don't want to cut a lot of crafts of the same pattern just to have them there. I was thinking about making a sample of the various patterns I have been doing and displaying those. Taking orders at that time for "custom work".

Can you give me your opinion and ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

northie66

Re: Your opinion on Flea Markets
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »
Just my opinion but I don't think you'd get much for your work at a flea market.  People there are looking for something for nothing.  I could be wrong though.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »
Flat out statement...

Stay away from flea markets if you are trying to sell and make a profit.
People who frequent flea markets are looking only for bargains at below bargain prices or they are looking through junk to find a treasure or a specific item.

I have been on both sides of the table at flea markets and will only attend them as a 'seeker' in the future.
If it is a nice day and I have absolutely nothing else to do I might bve persuaded to go to a flea market.

My, ideas, my thoughts, my opinions!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:25:34 pm »
I agree stay away from "Flea Markets" If you are referring to craft shows then by all means give it a go.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »
I looked into flea markets.  The ones in Texas are horrible places to sell a decent craft or product.  I found them to be mostly produce and Chinese junk.  Everybody was looking for something for nothing.  Lots of garage sale type booths - junk.  Stick with the bigger festivals in your area - check with local chamber of commerces.  They will have all kinds of info on everything from attendance to types of venders.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »
Sam...do a simple google search using the words "craft fairs" and all kinds of information about organizations and promoters is available.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »
Easy thing to do is go along to one of these flea markets and look for your self, in NZ they are mostly second hand stuff and produce, your best bet is craft shows, and have a good range of product as people go to buy not give orders unless it is some thing special
Jimbo

SamCec

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:11:58 am »
I realize with Craft shows, I would be competing against experienced Scroll sawers. There work would blow my work far away.

Let me ask, even when you are at a Craft Show, how do you handle sales of your items?

This is just an example: I made a Desk Name Plate (see attached) for my son-in-law. It is personalized with his name. I can't make a quantity of theses prior to a show. Each one has to be custom made. There are many other crafts I make that are personalized. Maybe the solution is to get away from the personalized items?

Sam

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:35:48 am »
I agree with all the others, stay away from "Flea Markets". Tried it once and sold nothing. Never again.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:00:38 am »
Sam,  Doubtful you will be competing with anyone.  I rarely come across another scroller at these events.  When I do, their mdse is usually different than mine.  I came across one lady who was selling some of the same childrens puzzles as me but her's were unfinished and a fraction of the price.  I still sold more than her.
As for personalized items,  take orders.  I have done that many times.  I have left shows feeling a little disappointed and after the show, the phone starts ringing.  Make sure you have cards available.  Lots of people will pick up your card even though they don't buy something right then, they think about it and call later.  Also, make sure you put your card with each sale.

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:32:53 am »
And what do you do whwn you live in a country where they don't have craft shows? I was toying with the flee market idea myself, out here I have seen people with main lable products on flea markets. Thought I ought to give it a try, have searched out the possible craft shows, but nadda here, just flea markets, bizars and the occassional black market.
David

SamCec

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:26 am »
julief:

I don't want to put words into your mouth but would you recommend the following?

I should get a table at a Craft Show, display samples of my work, have order forms and business cards available. Physically, I would not have anything to sell but I would be able to take orders based upon the samples I have.

What do you think? Is this a good plan or would you have a better suggestion?

Thanks for your help and advise.
Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:13 am »
Sam,  You need both.  Have some items to sell right then but have samples of your personallized items on display.  For example, I make a stool for children that can be a step stool or a chair.  I personalize it by making puzzle pieces out of their name on the seat and a little fret work or clay inlay of something like a train or fairy or butterfly.  I have one on display and take orders for it.  It sells for $50.00 and takes less than a day to make.  When you are at a  local craft fair or festival,  your customers usually live in the near vacinity.  I usually take 1/2 down, the balance due on delivery.  Then you know they are serious and will make good on the other half.  If you have to ship it, know in advance what a flat rate box that size cost to ship and add it.  They are usually excited to get your phone call saying it is ready and will meet you somewhere.
The regular items for sale are usually crosses, puzzles, boxes and a random group of items either around the nearest holiday or the theme of the festival.  Be careful about town or school mascot items because you can get stuck with a few.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 09:06:48 am »
David,  Wow,  I can't imagine no festivals.  We celebrate EVERYTHING here.  I would check your local flea markets and bizaars and see if they are different there.  Go shopping.  Check out what is for sale and what kind of prices are on the craft items that are for sale.  Every little town in texas has at least one festival a year.  Last time I checked, within a 50 mile radius of where I live there were 167 craft shows or festivals in just a 3 month period.  I have a hard time deciding where I want to go.  Usually every town has one in the fall.  Kids are back in school, parades, homecomings.  There is a car show attached to one in November that I go to.  It generally has over 30,000 visitors.  It should be a good day.
Is there a chamber of commerce in your town?  Octoberfest?  Are there venders when you have a parade?  Do you have parades?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:01 am »
Sam, I think that just taking orders is a risky idea.
You would need something tangible for people to see and purchase.
Craft fairs are "Impulse Driven" situations. People see something and want it NOW.
Having a line of Special Order Items as a side item would be good but have something for them to carry away.
Another trick is to use 'clear' plastic bags for your customers to carry their purchases so others see what they bought and often times will stop them and say, "where did you find that?"
People will also look over your 'wares' move on and then stop back by later to talk, look again and likely purchase.
Keep PLENTY of cards handy with all the necessary information and easily readable. Don't be too creative with your card but make sure they are specific. I have often brought cards home and two days later I couldn't remember why I picked them up!
I just signed on to do a Church Craft Fair in my old neighborhood. When the lady asked what I would have to sell and I described my stuff and gave here my Photo site info she called me back the next day and said, "you should do well, we have never in 15years had anything like your 'stuff'!"

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi