Author Topic: Portrait Frames  (Read 3513 times)

kalipbean

Portrait Frames
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:46:35 am »
What does everyone do when cutting portraits or animals...etc on baltic berch do for a frame? Do ya'all make your own frame? And if so, just glue it on top of the birch? My only issue is I do not have a miter saw, but I could just cut the angles on the scroll...might not be perfect but want to see what other people do.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Portrait Frames
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »
My personal choice is to 'feature' the portrait and 'understate' the frame.

When I get the chance I drop in to a "dollar store" and get an assortment of cheap frames of various sizes that I can later use by just hitting them with a couple coats of paint of the appropriate color to go with the cutting and my background sheet.

Almost all my 'background' colors come from the ScrapBook section of Michael's since they have a tremendous assortment of colors and textures.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:25:17 pm »
I make all my frames. I usually cut a rabbit in the back for the project to fit in.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »
i buy my frames by the case from the dollar tree and use black felt to go behind the portrait. i havent mastered frame making yet.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »
If it is a wildlife, cowboy or western scene, I make my frames from barn wood or old fence pickets.  My fancier frames are made from mesquite and I follow the waves of the grain to determine the outside shape.  Have also just used 1 by lumber.

jon

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »
i make my own frames iv used everything from 1/4" to 2.5" depends on the size of the project. i also usually cut a rabit in the back of the fame for the project to fit into. if you dont have a miter saw you could cut them useing a handsaw an a miterbox it goes rather quick or you could cut them with a table saw or if you dont care about mitering 45s you could just cut a box frame useing 90s

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:01 pm »
Hey Kalipbean, I make my own frames. Like GB, I keep them understated. I usually use 1/2" x 1-1/2" of what ever I have on hand. I cut a rabbit with a dado blade on the table saw. I have a miter sled for the table saw that cuts perfect 45s. I glue the frame peices together without any reinforcement, then glue the BB directly into the rabbit. That way the frame wont fall apart. Then I will glue the backer to the BB.

P.S. Pattern by Steve Good!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:14:35 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

kalipbean

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:44:51 pm »
I love the fact of making my own frame, only thing is I do not have a router or a table saw. My father has both and Im sure I could do it. What exactly would I need to do the rabbet? I can do that on the table saw? Or must it be done on a router?

chief

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 11:52:50 pm »
If you have a way to cut rabbets you can make your own frames on the scrollsaw like this video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/noho91#p/a/u/2/AM-3BjC4quw

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:55 am »
I love the fact of making my own frame, only thing is I do not have a router or a table saw. My father has both and Im sure I could do it. What exactly would I need to do the rabbet? I can do that on the table saw? Or must it be done on a router?

You can cut rabbits with a dado blade on a table saw or with a router in a router table. You can also cut rabbits with a rabbit plane.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:42 am »
you can cut them with a regular blade on a table saw. a standard cut is usually 3/8 by 3/8. raise
your blade 3/8, measure from fence to outside of blade 3/8. stand on edge for first pass. swap ends
place flat and make second pass. use a piece of scrap to set up saw. to make wider or deeper cuts adjust saw to fit your needs

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:33 am »
I am going to have to try what they did on the u-tube video.  Very Cool! 
This thread poses a couple of questions.  Why do you not put glass in?  I use UV anti glare glass on all mine.  I just cut the rabbit deep enough to hold the 3 pieces.  I usually use 1/8" press board for my backers and paint them.  If you are using felt and not covering it with glass - doesn't it collect dust over the years?  I join my frames with pocket screws or biscuits.  The problem with my method is the cost involved.  People don't like paying for the frames.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:13 am »
Hey Julie, I don't use glass because It's not a paper portrait. For me, I think glass distracts from the wood. and since I make my own frames, I don't want to go out and buy glass! If you use a good top coat, It is easy to dust with a soft brush or feather duster.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 11:22:39 am »
Speaking of frames..... does anyone need new 8x10 frames with 5/16th groove (rabbit)?  I got a LOTof them.
email me and we will talk.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »
Well, that's why I buy the UV anti-glare glass.  I always finish my pieces.  I guess I will have to try it without glass and see how it goes over.  The cost of making the frames with glass is high.  I sell my pieces with or without the frame and when people find out what I'm charging for the frame the often buy without.

SMF

Teknoromi