Author Topic: Steve's Copyright message  (Read 6645 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Steve's Copyright message
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 08:49:34 am »
I disagree, Janet.  I love to see the pictures that everyone posts.  We just need to use some common sense.  If you know it is something that might raise an eyebrow - don't do it.  I have made several items with both Dallas Cowboy and UT type logos as gifts.  Disney stuff as well.  Yes, I made the patterns by tracing the logos.  I am very careful about selling this type of item.  You never know who is going to show up at a craft fair. 

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »
Mike,

That's kinda what I was saying in #4, but you cleared it up better.  Although if I made a logo from a university and put it on my wall only, I doubt there would be any problem.  Against the law though? Possibly.

It is a shame this discussion is being had as most people have good intentions and don't wish to deprive designers of their income.  Most people will try to be honest, although some ruin it for others.  :(

Karl

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »
It is a shame this discussion is being had as most people have good intentions and don't wish to deprive designers of their income.  Most people will try to be honest, although some ruin it for others.

I agree.  Most of it is just not understanding, I'm certain there is no ill will intended.  Every scrolling forum out there has this ongoing discussion.  It is the number one reason for moderators on these forums (because of liability to the forum hosts).  Number 2 is spammers and number 3 is off topic &/or inappropriate content postings.

Bottom line is.
If you did not create a pattern do not post/trade, give or sell the pattern.  Pretty basic. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:06:53 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 06:38:58 pm »
not to stray from the topic but "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" must have had a copywriter I am quite familiar with - my mother - she used to say it over 40 yrs. ago and it wasn't because that was when she got off work!! copywrited? really??

Attn lawyers: this is in general conversation and I do not expect to receive money for the verbalization of this "possibly copywrited" saying (yeah I know copywrited isn't a word)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

northie66

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
I guess the thing I was trying to say was that sometimes the WORDS have a copyright and it doesn't matter what design you put them in.  I just had the words "It's 5 oclock somewhere" in wood... no margarita drink design... no palm tree... and I got a lawyer email.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 08:57:00 pm »
can search for copyrights at this site, if anyone is curious:

http://www.copyright.gov/

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »
I think that I will copywrite my name. Then if I ever run  to someone with exactly the same name, I can sue their parents!  ;D
Does "Throckmorton S, Gildersleeve" ring a bell to anyone?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
If you could copyright words you would not be able to rite anything, and when you buy a book do they think you are going to make a couple of patterns and throw it away, if you can not sell the patterns out of a book can you sell the book? if not why are there so many second hand books for sale, and what what is to stop me from giving a pattern away from out of the book, it states you must not sell the patterns nothing about giving them away
Jimbo

northie66

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »
Can you believe this is in the FAQs at the www.copyright.gov site:

How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:24 pm »
Hey Rog....

Close but no CI:GAR!

The Great Gildersleeve (1941?1957), initially written by Leonard Lewis Levinson,[2] was one of broadcast history's earliest spin-off programs. Built around Throckmorton Philharmonic Gildersleeve, a character who had been a staple on the classic radio situation comedy Fibber McGee and Molly, first Introduced to FMAM on 10/3/39 ep #216. The Great Gildersleeve enjoyed its greatest success in the 1940s. Actor Harold Peary played the character during its transition from the parent show into the spin-off and later in a quartet of feature films released at the height of the show's popularity.

Middle initial was P.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:04 pm »
i havent sighted elvis, but i did have a waldo sighting ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 10:57:30 pm »
Hey MadHatter, Where? Where's waldo? ::)
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 06:31:49 am »
It is amazing how posts go off on ther own. From Steve's Copyright message to sightings of The King Elvis, some old fart named Gildersleeve, and now where is some dork named Waldo. LOL  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 10:30:54 am »
It keeps things interesting doesn't it?
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Well, the latest news I heard was that Elvis is coming back from the dead and doing a concert with Gildersleeve and Waldo as back up singers.   WHAT??? It could hapen.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi