Author Topic: Ethical Delima  (Read 2271 times)

Spartan scroller

Ethical Delima
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:48:03 am »
Help me out with this one Community:
I stack cut a half a dozen of the ribbon ornament pattern in the latest sswwc mag and painted them pink and took them to the breast cancer walk this morning.  I had fishing line strung to make pendants to hang around the neck. I had one for me and one for my wife Peach Pie and passed the rest out to friends.  Well they went nuts over em and one was a captain for a relay for life team and she wants 50 of them painted purple
for her team members.  She asked "how much" knowing that I do a craft business.
So here is my delima as I see it. Please respond with comments. should I:
a) make and sell as many as I can at a reasonable price and donate ALL the proceeds to
the American Cancer Soceity. They are easy and cheap to make and this is a good cause.
B)ditto A above and donate a PORTION to the American Cancer Society.  After all a guy
deserves something for his work.
C)Make and sell as many as you can and keep all the profits for your self.  After all you are a Capitalist and Greed is Good"  (Gordon Gecko...Wall Street.)

Choice C is an attempt at humor but you get the idea.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Ethical Delima
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:52:46 am »
how big were they? can we see a picture of a finished one?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
All of the above are acceptable answers.  You are evidently civic minded or you would not have been doing race for the cure in the first place.  I have made matching items for my daughters sorority when they did relay for life.  I just did it at no charge - but that was my daughter's team.  Making 50 is an undertaking and true, the cost per unit is small, it is still 50 - painted.  Your time and materials are worth something.  It is up to you wether to donate all or part of your proceeds.

chief

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:57 am »
At a minimum you should recover you material costs.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 11:13:26 am »
I see no 'ethical' problem here, just one of economics and philanthropy.

Do the work, recover your cost of materials and donate your time and talents. You can even tell the person who ordered them what you are doing, not to be bragging but being honest. If the person who orders them is capable of giving you a 'tax deduction receipt' that is another possibility. Figure a fair cost and ask for the receipt for that amount.

This is, I feel, more than fair.
All those tee shirts they give away at the various charitable events are covered with "Sponsors" so they are reaping a benefit from their donation, i.e., advertising and PR. And face it, they have a "budget item" for this purpose!

My thoughts and Opinions...

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

kp91

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:15:40 am »
Truth is, it ain't what we think, it's what you're going to be able to live with.  Any proceeds you make are rightfully yours to begin with.  How much of that you in turn donate is entirely up to you (As long as you are not specifically advertising xx% donated to charity).  

If keeping a portion of the proceeds allows you to contribute more by offsetting some of your costs, than it's a win/win!  

It sounds like you've got a good heart, and I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be "right".

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »
I have one other question to ask...
Are the 50 pieces going to be given away or sold? That fact would inter into the problem.
If they are going to be sold, with the procedes going to the charity, I would charge a minimal amount for my materials and time. Lets face it, it takes money to make money. You bought your saw didn't you? You found and bought the materials didn't you? You are spending your time and tallent to cut 50 of something aren't you? Well, I feel that you should be compinsated something for that. I'm not suggesting that you turn it into a "Real money making thing" but, your efforts must be worth something. (some money making charitys pay alot for some things...Girl Scout Cookies come to mind)
Now, if the items are going to be GIVEN away as "proof of particapion" or something, that is something else. You will have to use your own judgement on how much you are willing to donate to the cause.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
I think you could do A, B or C and there be no moral implications.

One thing I'd like to mention though is, I used to donate ALL the proceeds of my work to my charity of choice.  It got to be a real pain in the butt to keep track of though.  So I decided to sell my work for profit, and if I want to give to a charity, do so aside from the woodworking.  It's much easier and less stressful.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »
I think you have the right stuff in mind and are getting good advice. Go with your heart and you won't be wrong. What would you think of some one else doing A B or C? As long as you get out of it what your heart says is appropriate and you can live with the decision, go with it. See the motto at the bottom.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:47:17 pm »
I would cover my cost for materials and wear and tear on you saw for sure. Then I would tell her this is what is costs for me to make them. Anything you give me over that amount I will donate to the American Cancer Society.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:48:46 am »
Hi Spartan Scroller:
Bottom line:

Do what YOU feel is right for you.

Personally, I don't think there is a wrong answer on this one
Keep up the great work
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Spartan scroller

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:42 pm »
Thank You all.  Some really good points to ponder.  I can tell i've decided that some portion of the proceeds will go to breast cancer research. My daughter has done the sixty mile three day walk a few times and is very committed to the cause. The least I can do is support her.  By the way I have started a daily blog where I post pictures of my work and details of some of the events I'm doing. The link is terrysscrollshoppe.blogspot.com.  I would be honored if you would visit it sometime.                                                                                                                 Regards,
Terry

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:13:55 am »
That would have been my solution, Terry. Nice blogspot, also.

Paul

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »
Just remember, once you give to a charity they never forget you. Every time they need something they will look to you. This is a good charity and there is always the chance of selling to someone else who saw your work through the charity.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Re: Ethical Dilemma
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:41 am »
this is a tough one.
I think you should determine on if and how much you want to give to charity.
materials and time are a gift just as money.
the problem is the they are hard to compare.
to decide there is also our ego that makes it harder to choose.

in this case the dilemma could be:
a) give 50 ribbon's and no one knows how much time and money you donated to charity
b) sell 50 ribbon's and donate the money. than everyone knows you donated +/- $150

each of us have different feelings for a or b so it's up to you.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi