Author Topic: Question regarding the bulliten  (Read 1335 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Question regarding the bulliten
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:48 am »
Good Day Folks!

I have a emblem, I would like to request be made into a pattern for personal use.  It's of a railroad that is now defunct , I see patterns on here for a Pontiac Catalina, and a Ford truck.  I was wondering if it would be OK to ask someone for help in making the pattern.  Is there a way to submit the picture for approval?  I don't want to make anyone mad, or get Steve in trouble.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding the bulliten
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:18 am »
I posted a request for a pattern of a College Mascot logo for personal use, gift for my grandson who just started there as a present for his success in being admitted.
Same situation with the pattern I received of the Rascals Logo. It was specifically requested that I make the plaque by the ballclub owner.

The patterns were for personal use only and no monetary gain was derived.

I think we all need to be aware of the copyright restrictions but they can be carried to an extreme.

SUGGESTION: If you have a request of this nature just ask that any patterns be 'emailed' directly to you rather than posted on the GROUP! This takes Steve and the Forum OUT of the equation.
OR email the pattern makers directly and ask for their help. working individually 'outside the Forum'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I have a C&NW logo that I would like made into a pattern.  If anyone can help, it would greatly appreciated. 

Another question though, I see free patterns for a Ford, and a Chevy Camero.  Would a C&NW Train logo be Ok to post? 

Steven

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 01:06:52 pm »
I seriously doubt anyone from the now defunct railroad is interested in the logos anymore.

I may stand corrected but I don't think there would be a problem as long as the 'patterns' are not also posted but sent to you directly.

Russ, Steve??????

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:34 pm »
I may be wrong too but, I think that if you copy a logo and cut it for your self or as a gift there won't be much they can do.
Now...If you make a PATTERN and post it for free or try to sell the PATTERN or the ITEM its self, you are in a whole differnt ball game.
Like any company or sports clubs, that is MONEY to them.
You may look at it as advertizing for the College Team but, someone (or the college) owns the rights to that logo and they do make a certain amount off the procedes from selling items with their logo on it.
I have cut wall hangings of the logo of my son's college and either kept them for myself or given them to my son. No problem but, if I cut the same thing and try to sell it at a craft show, I WILL HAVE BIG TROUBLE !
The wild cat of the  Kansas State University is OWNED by the current football coach and he don't take kindly to anyone making money off HIS property!
I'm sure it is the same with scrolling patterns designed by our favorite pattern makers but, in this case, even GIVING THEIR pattern away cuts into their pocket and doesn't sit too well with them either.
I'm sure you all understand what I am trying to say.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:16:10 pm »
Guys I am in the position of having to sound extreme. If you make deals between yourselves that is up to you completely. Just don't do it on the forum. I am not a lawyer and cannot tell you the details on everything that may be okay or not. I can't afford to hire a lawyer to tell me what is okay in every situation. That leaves me with either taking the chance of being sued or just not allowing anything that might get me sued to happen on the forum. This is not some hypothetical situation. I have received a cease and desist letter. I'm glad everyone is asking questions. That means you care and don't want to make a mistake.

I do all this stuff by the seat of my pants. I will make mistakes and all I can do is ask for your understanding. This is a tough subject because we all want to help each other out with patterns and be a contributor but it has to be moderated. 

SMF

Teknoromi