Author Topic: EZ Lift - Today's Video  (Read 6858 times)

Becky

EZ Lift - Today's Video
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:22:46 pm »
I got my EZ-Lift a few weeks ago.  I'd been stuffing a piece of wood in there for a while.  What a glorious difference!  I tried to explain it to a non-scrolling friend.  I suggested she imagine herself paying bills but every time she has to put the pen down, she has to open the drawer and put it in there.  And when she needs it again, she has to open the drawer to get it out.  Over and over with every bill and every envelope.

Since I got the EZ-Lift, I have done projects I would not have even considered doing before because of the PITA of it - including one that may net me about $100 which will more than pay for it!

I've made good decisions and bad decisions as I work on learning this art/craft.  Buying the EZ-Lift definitely falls into the good decision category.

Just in case anyone is on the fence.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: EZ Lift - Today's Video
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:41 pm »
Hey Becky, You must be a bottom feeder. As a top feeder, I love that the upper arm doesn't stay up! I let gravity lower the blade into the hole, instead of having to pull the upper arm down.
I used to have a Jim Dandy on my saw years ago. I took it off because it was just in the way.
I don't mean any disrespect by calling you a bottom feeder. It's like being left handed or right handed. You are either a top feeder, or a bottom feeder.
BTW, I'm am left handed!
Dan In Southern California

Becky

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:54:33 pm »
LOL, no problem and I take no offense.  I'm a leftie too FWIW.  I learned how to use a saw mostly from Steve's videos first and so I tend to do what he does except that I like to cut clockwise.

But, even as a top feeder, doesn't the blade kind of crash down?  I did think of you when I was cutting one of those projects and I decided to try top feeding - just to see, you know?  You'd think it would be easy to know where the hole is in the table but I found it to be a lot harder than I expected and a lot harder than bottom feeding.  Is there a trick to it or something?  I'm still open to trying it.  Intuitively, it *seems* like it should be easier.  But that wasn't the case for me when I tried it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:03:55 am »
Becky, Here's what I do. First release the bottom clamp. With my right hand raise the arm up. Move the board over to the next hole, lining up the hole with the hole in the table. With my left hand, line up the blade to the hole then using my right hand lower the upper arm. I don't let it fall, but use my hand to let it lower down.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:38:21 am »
Becky, I'm with you on the easy lift. I'm a bottom feeder also and the easy lift has always been on my saws from the beginning. I will say this though. If the board is large it is easier to top feed. The larger the board the harder it is to find the hole from the bottom. When I am doing a portrait style pattern I will often switch over to top feeding. It takes me a while to get use to it every time I do. If the piece is small I can find the hole from the bottom just as easy as from the top and the clamping is easier. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

chips

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:45 am »
 Being one of those bottom feeders this looks like a good deal as I sure get tired of putting a block of wood under the arm.
 Went to one of the suppliers recommended (Woodcraft) since I have an account with them. After trying every search wording I could think ofwith no luck. Anyone know the part # for it on Woodcraft........ or if they don't have it where I can get one?
Thanks!

Pete

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:51:59 am »
My EX21 stays up.  I am both a top and bottom feeder and I don't have a problem lowering the arm to top feed.  I like having both hands to do what I want and not have to hold the arm up.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
Hey Chips, I purchased my first Easy Lift from Woodcraft but I don't think they still carry it. I talked to the people at Jim Dandy Products and they will take orders by phone. I purchased my new one from Wildwood Designs and the delivery was very fast. The cost was higher but not enough to stop my order. There have been complaints about Wildwood on the different forums from time to time. They are not my favorite vendor but nothing that would keep me from ordering from them.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
Here's a link to the "Jim Dandy" products site.

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html

I will order mine next 'payday'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chips

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »
 GB,

Had the "Jim Dandy" web site but as Steve pointed out one of the suppliers mentioned as carrying it (Woodcraft) apparently doesn't it anymore as I couldn't find it.

Steve,

Thanks for the tip on Wildwood. Took a while but found it. Here's the address for those wanting to get one.

http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Easy-Lift-System-P4149.aspx

Orders on the way!

Pete

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »
Ah geezz GrayBeard, I thought for sure you where a top feeder! ::)
Am I the only one?

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:41 pm »
The Excalibur's arm stays where it is lifted to so there is no probs. for us top or bottom feed, I find it easier to bottom feed
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
I am a "Top Feeder" Dan...however I also have limited use of my right arm as far as 'lifting' anything above the horizontal due to shoulder surgery and muscle atrophy. I just think it might help me do things a bit quicker even feeding from the top.
Want to try it and if it doesn't help I will offer it on the "Swap" section for someone else.
Too difficult for me to hold the upper arm in the upright position with my right arm and fit the blade thru the next hole. If I can get some assistance from the 'lift' it might help.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »
What a relief GB, I thought I trained you right! ::)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:43:36 pm »
Dan, you and everyone else on this forum has helped me to advance in scrolling in so many ways that I feel it is my duty to keep you all somewhat entertained!

As I told Sheila recently in a PM it is the interaction with this forum that has caused me to attempt things i would never have thought of trying just one short year ago!
Case in point...Cutting that "Buffalo" piece from a "Grilling Plank" of rather light weight cedar and having it come out somewhat presentable!

My sincere THANKS to EVERYONE!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi