Author Topic: Spray paint  (Read 678 times)

HWPlmbr1

Spray paint
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
Hi all, I have been doing the jerseys too. I am using spray paint (krylon) for school colors and then a glaze coating, spray also. When the glaze looks good it is GREAT. But when it goes wrong it looks TERRIBLE. I am using a primer too.  What am I doing wrong? I have them on nails to keep them off the cardboard. They lay flat. I try to keep the spray cans at an angle. Well shaken (not stirred), it happens when the can is full or getting towards empty. I try to do it with the right temps (though it has gotten cooler here lately) Any ideas? Oh, they look all ripply, for a description. Thanks!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Spray paint
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »
"Ripply" tends to make me think you are putting on too heavy a coat.
Back off a little and do very light coats and several of them.
Build up the paint layer slowly and don't try to get the finished product in one coat...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »
I agree with GB. Probably too heavy of a coat. Also drying time. Just because they are dry to the touch does not mean they have cured long enough to re-coat. Especially if the coats are heavy. Applying coats too fast will cause a ripply or gator skin look to the paint.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:31 pm »
Thanks GB and Russ. I was told that by my wife too. Guess I didn't want to listen, though she is an artist! I got a long way to go yet. :-[ Now plumbing I can back up the talk with the walk/work. In the meantime I will make sawdust!

SMF

Teknoromi