Author Topic: I was offered a free lathe  (Read 1873 times)

northie66

I was offered a free lathe
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:46:49 pm »
from my scroll saw buddy at work.  He said it's old, huge, and very heavy.

I'm not sure if I want to get into that or not.  Are they dangerous?  I don't need more hand surgery!

Bill P

Re: I was offered a free lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:57 pm »
I've had several friends who do lathe work (Lefty, John "the Claw", Stubs) and none of them ever had a problem.  They seem to be as safe as any tool, as long as you follow the basics (pin your hair back, safety glasses, don't grab the wood, etc.).  I'd pop over to his house and give it a try first.

Good luck.

Bill

P.S. Those names were my attempt at a joke, if no one got that.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »
Any tool Janet is dangerous if not properly used.  If it is a large lathe it would normally be used for longer items (i.e. table legs).  I would think most scrollers would be more apt to purchase a smaller lathe (i.e. for pens).

Before you use it (if you get it) become knowledgeable about it before turning on!

Karl

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:57:25 pm »
They seem to be as safe as any tool, as long as you follow the basics (pin your hair back, safety glasses, don't grab the wood, etc.).

Also, NO Jewelry, No Loose fitting Clothing, Roll sleeves above the elbow or be sure they are buttoned.

I've seen what can happen when a wedding ring gets hung up on a rapidly turning shaft and it is not pretty!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 07:04:12 pm »
I agree with what everyone has said. Basic tool safety. Trying it out at his house is a good idea also.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dragon

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:47 pm »
Find a local woodturning association.  They usually have someone on hand that is certified to give a basic course.  I recommend that you go and take a class from an expert before turning it on.
Diane

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »
Janet I recommend you have several classes, as already said all machines are dangerous if miss handled, the biggest problem with lathe work is the mess they make wood shavings and dust, and there is plenty of that, have a look at the pics in the brag I posted
Jimbo 

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:33:11 pm »
Jimbo I was hoping you would post on this thread, and maybe could explain better what I am going to try to say, I had a friend who had an old lathe given to him, the lathe was so old you had to wax the spindle or something for it to turn so it would not get friction when it turned or it would bind, Like I said I do not know much about lathes, but I just hate to see you get something unusable. I am hoping Jimbo can elaborate on what I am trying to say. I do know this old lathe was no fun to use.

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:57 pm »
Hey Janet, The lathe my be free, but that is just the beginning! You will need chisels, chuck, and so much more. Even if you spent $500 on a lathe, the tools and accessories will double or triple that!
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:49:25 am »
I think he said he had all that stuff dgman.  But I've decided I'm not going to take it.  I don't have the room and I don't want the mess.

UHMNL

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »
Hi Janet,
You made the right decision.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
Smart Girl...maybe later and smaller!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 03:09:13 pm »
Yeh a mini lathe if you are interested they are good for small projects and are easy to move around.
As to your question Mark that would be the live center you are talking about they are easy to replace with one with bearings in it
Jimbo

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 04:35:36 pm »
No one mentioned sharpening the tools. It is on-going, and one needs to be good at sharpening. I am not. Enjoyed making bowls, but finally sold everything. Will stick with scrolling. Think sharpening is an art.
Pat B

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »
Pat they have sharpening jigs and most of the pros. use them now, it is the only way to sharpen specialized chisels it gives the same grind time after time and saves wearing the chisel down to quickly
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi