Author Topic: sales  (Read 1534 times)

Dav

sales
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »
I've done craft sales for a lot of years now with my stain glass and woodworking and have always done good in my opion. The last few years things have really slowed down[alot has to do with the economy] this last weeks sale was really slow with the amount of people and sales. Now the big decision to keep making things[for I really love the hobbies and am not one to sit much-nervous] orto hang it up for a while.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: sales
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:17:17 am »
There are a lot of charitable organizations who could use your talent.  don't give up your scrolling because of now sales.  Find another venue to share your talent.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:14:50 am »
Dav,  Don't give up - find another venue.  Look for a gallery or gift shop that does decent business and try consignments.  One of my neighbors does stained glass and gets many custom orders through a decorator.  You might make a brochure or something and get it out to those kinds of people.

dankc908

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:24:21 am »
I am changing my focus - for both my penturning and my scrolling. My wife and I have done the local "craft show" circuit for the past several years and the 'set-up' and 'tear down' is taking a toll on our bodies. I have decided that I am, now, going to take my turning and scrolling and make it a true hobby rather than a business. I want to play with other pen kits, try some of my different blanks, turn other items like bottle stoppers, letter openers, etc. In short - I want to bring the fun back.

As for scrolling, I have several 'time-consuming' clocks I want to cut in addition to trying some other types of cuttings. I am really looking forward to my "new" hobby (i.e. - new as a hobby).  The Scrollsaw Workshop will continue to be a constant in my toolbox of tips, tricks, and techniques.

Just thought I'd catch you all up to date!

Dan

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:44:14 am »
The last couple of years I have scaled back to more of a hobby and make things for my own gratification. I only take orders now for sales. The economy is hurting everyone.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:39 am »
Dan,  Best of luck with your "new hobby".  When it ceases to be fun, it's work.  Enjoy.  Do what you love, and love what you do!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30:01 am »
Well guys I am going in the other direction at least for this month.
A friend is in to the local craft show scene and she talked me in to doing one on the 30th of this month. That was not my thought when I started doing scroll work but I like to meet people and what the heck it is only a $20 booth fee and for 6 hours on a Saturday morning. So I am putting together what I hope to be a salable inventory and will see what happens.
I WILL NOT make the craft show circuit a new career!
I have retired twice and I will be darned if I am going back to WORK!

The show I am doing only has 23 booths and no other woodworking booth will be in attendance so I will exhibit scroll stuff, some folding stools and an assortment of simple bird feeders. The stools and feeders I have and the scroll stuff will be usable as gifts if it doesn't sell.
If I make a few bucks then I get to buy more wood!

Besides that is halloween weekend and it traditionally rains here anyway!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:31:40 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:39:38 am »
Good luck with it GB!

Offline RFortier

• View Profile
    • Sparetime Scroller
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
Dav-

I know what you're saying. We keep doing the same shows year after year and they've gone form very good to poor lately. We're thinking about trying some new shows next year and sitting out on the ones we have been doing. It will probably mean some traveling though.

Ray F

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:41 pm »
You got it Dan when things are slow it is a good time to experiment and look for new things to make, It is slow in our part of the world as well but my sales numbers are about the same but $$ value is down so that shows me people are coming back but are spending less, hang in there Dav and tighten your belt sales will come back
Jimbo

Bill P

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:42 pm »
Dav, follow your heart.  By definition, a hobby should bring you joy.  If it does this without the money, then keep doing it.  Happiness is what it's all about.

Bill

jimt2099

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »
Hey Dav,

If you are looking for an outlet for your wares while pursueing your hobby you might want to do what I am. I use Etsy.com for selling my scroll saw items. It takes a little setting up of the store initially, but after you get your site up and running you can devote as much or as little time to it as you wish. It is very inexpensive to use, 20 cents (for three months) per item listed, and a small percentage of the sold item amount. I have made several sales from my store (www.janddwoodcrafts.etsy.com), but the best part of it is that it has not become a job for me. I am retired and want to stay that way. This venue gives me the option of keeping my scrolling a hobby while at the same time allowing sales of my work at a comfortable level.
Thought you might want to check this out. Good luck on whatever path you decide on.

Jim T

SMF

Teknoromi