Author Topic: the 788  (Read 2078 times)

jon

the 788
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »
im confused... everyone talks about how the 788 is so great yet i hear alot ALOT of people talk about how they have to replace the fuses or issues with the moter ie brushes and so forth. so i have to ask with all the problems this saw is haven is the 788 really worth it? or are people just shelling out the price just because it says dewalt?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: the 788
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »
I think Dewalt makes excellent tools, they have very high ratings. I own several. You have to remember it is a machine. And depending on how much you use it parts of it tend to wear out. If you by a Mercedes-Benz don't you have to change the oil, replace brakes, replace tires and replace a fuse now and then. Sometimes the old clich? you get what you pay for is true.  8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:01:31 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »
As a loooooong time handyman and mechanic a blown fuse to me is a very minor thing on any piece of equipment. Especially those tiny little 'tube' fuses with that extremely fine filament in a piece of equipment that 'vibrates' even the slightest bit. The fuse holder rests in the main frame of the 788 directly above the motor so it definitely gets some vibration!
Now if I find that they continue to blow frequently THEN I suspect a larger problem.

The biggest thing that upset me yesterday was that I had not thought ahead and bought a few spares to have on hand. (pack of 5, 3 amp AGC fuses = $1.77 at Home Depot!) About the same price as a good FD blade!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »
Hey Jon, another thing to consider is the Sheer number of 788 saws out there. It is a machine, and all machines need maintenance! The 788 is definitely not the best saw out there, but is the best saw in its price range.
So yes, the DeWalt saw is really worth it!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:17:27 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »
I love my 788... I had a blown fuse too.  And I had the issue with the switch not working.  I've heard the switch problem many times... it's one most owners work around with a foot pedal (which is what I did).  I guess it's a small price to pay for a great machine!

Good question though!

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:11 am »
i too am a proud owner of the dewalt, no probs other than i break a blade every now and then lol. and yes i agree any machines do need routine maintainence on them.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:19:38 am »
I have an EX21.  It is an excellent machine, however it is a machine.  Just like the 788 it is the top of it's class.  Remember some of these machines are used daily.  I make my living with my saw, so it is used hours a day - every day. 
I don't know of any machine that does not have a hiccup every now and then.  The difference between a high end tool and a low end tool is how often it happens, how easy it is to repair, how long it takes to get parts.
I have never paid a penny for parts and never waited more that 2 days to get them - Part of what you pay for is service.  My saw has a lifetime warranty and Seyco has never let me down.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:48:03 am »
Buy quality and you get the use from what you buy buy cheap like I did and you get BIG trouble, my saw fell to pieces so I bought a Excalibur and have not had a problem since, take your pick
Jimbo

a 

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:56:22 pm »
I absolutely agree, you get what you pay for. My first saw was a low end Delta. In the first 6 months the blade tension knob broke twice, I was always  breaking blades with it. I now have an Eclipse I have had it for about 1 year now, and I never break blades anymore, and It runs smooth. By the way I hear you talk about maintenance, does anyone know what I should be doing other than adding oil to my reservoirs for maintenance on the Eclipse. I am hoping Eclipse scroller will see this maybe he can help, I assume he has the same saw. I know my old Delta I was always oiling the pivot points.

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »
Hey Mark, Don't you have to feed the squirrels often? Just kidding! Tell me, how do you like your Eclipse? It looks like a fine saw, but I'm a top feeder and would hate to go back to bottom feeding.
Dan In Southern California

boxmaker

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »
Dgman, When I first started scrolling I didn't now the difference between top feeder and bottom feeder. I always fed the blade from the bottom, so I really feel comfortable being a bottom feeder. As far as the saw, I love it, the blade travels a true vertical stroke, to me there is no noticeable vibration, I really like the fact that if a blade breaks the saw stops, instantly. As I mentioned earlier I have never broken a blade with this saw, they get dull and I have to change them. Ernie custom builds them, so when I ordered it I requested a higher set of legs, because I sit on a stool, and Ernie built it that way.

Mark

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:46 am »
When I think about Dewalt 788 vs the other less costly machines I have owned or used I think about the first time I sat down at the 788.  What a pleasure it was to cut that first piece.  And I have that same sense of pleasure using it ever since. 
Sure there are times a blade breaks (seldom) and other issues of breakage which I have not experienced. That is to be expected since it is but a machine.
What I would be interested to know is if I would be as impressed with the "first cut" on an even more expensive saw.  I doubt I'd have such a  huge leap forward as I felt with my DeWalt.  I'm sure they're nice but "twice as nice?"  I doubt it.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:40:17 am »
When I wanted to upgrade from my 18" Dremel, I actually went to different places in Dallas to try different saws.  I got to try several of the top models.  I knew I could never go back to my dremel.  Ended up with the EX21 and have never regreted it.  I think the only upgrade for me now is the EX30, but this one will surely last me many more years.

jimt2099

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:47:13 pm »
I have a DW788 and have logged a lot of hours on it over the past 2 years that I have owned it. I have never had a problem with it and everytime that I use it I am glad I made the purchase. I owned two other, lesser quality scroll saws in the past and there is no comparison between them and the DeWalt. My 788 is amoung the best tool purchases I have ever made. So, if you are hearing about some problems, I guess it is bound to happen sooner or later. A blown fuse is a fact of life, sooner or later, in all electrical fused circuits because they all (fuses)deteriorate over time and open under normal use.
So, if you are contemplating buying a DeWalt 788, check out the Grizzly web site (www.grizzly.com). That is where I bought mine and it was the least expensive of all other sites and stores I checked. I can promise you that you won't regret buying a DW788. They are great to use and do a great job for you.

Jim T

SMF

Teknoromi