Author Topic: Help - sheets of laminent  (Read 2537 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Help - sheets of laminent
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
My neighbor just pulled up with a rack that holds 4 X 8 sheets of laminent about half full.  The rack is 4 1/2 feet X 8 1/2 feet X 3 1/2 feet tall and has slots for 15 different styles of laminent.  There is a ton of it by scrollsaw standards.  I have no idea what to do with it.  Suggestions???  If I take it, what on earth am I going to make out of it.  The sheets are a little over 1/16" thick.  Some look like countertop and many look like wood grain.  Really pretty, but what whould you do with it?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Help - sheets of laminent
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »
I'm not sure that stuff will cut very well on a scroll saw.
Generally it is quite 'brittle' and chips like mad if you try to saw it.

Others may know a way....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:42 pm »
Send me a couple of sheets if you like Julie, the freight wont cost you much
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »
Backer boards maybe?

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »
I have never cut laminate on a scroll saw, but maybe you could glue some back to back so the faces show on each side and cut bookmarks or key chains.

Mark

daneklund

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:28 am »
I think if you use a fine enough blade and a slower speed it should cut pretty well without chipping.  I have cut CDs before and they cut fine.  I made some ornaments out of the CDs.  Dan

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:34 am »
I think your are going to need to experiment on cutting. I know I have never cut laminent with a scroll saw. Using it as a backer for projects sounds like a good idea to me.  8)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:07:06 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:52 am »
I thought about glueing it back to back for small projects.  Also thought about using it as backers - even portraits.  I'm going to see what it cuts like today.  If I have any luck - I'll have to cut it all down and stack it.  I can't keep the rack, as much as I want to - It's just too big.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:11:14 am »
After thinking about it and my past experiences with trying to cut it with a circular or jig saw I began to think more about it and here is what i would do to try it....

1. Firmly glue it so some kind of backing, thin masonite, MDF or plywood.
2. Use a very fine blade (definitely NOT a reverse tooth blade since it would be cutting only on the 'down stroke.)
3. Moderate speed but not too slow.
4. Definitely use packing tape to help lubricate the blade.

Let us know how it works and how you actually cut it....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
Julie, I just thought of an old trick a cabinet maker showed me years ago, he used to put masking tape over the areas that were going to be cut, we would cut counter tops on the table saw and tape the line where it would cut, and it wouldn't even chip. If you stack cut and use tape It might just work.

Mark

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 12:28:52 pm »
Now that Mark mentions it I remember the same trick but with the added fact that we would always cut the bare laminate with the GOOD side down when using a circular saw so the blade 'teeth' would be entering from the 'good' side thereby eliminating the possibility of chipping the laminate surface from the backing! And we always used at least a 48 tooth or finer blade.

~~~GB~~~

carlton4143

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35:05 pm »
I cut laminent all the time. The best way I found is to sandwich it between two peices of plywood.
I usualy use 1/8" ply and stack 4 peices of laminent. I use a FD#2 blade.
Carlton

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »
I'll add to this by saying laminate can be sharp, so be careful. (To "smooth" edges on the laminate use a file.)  Also if you cut it down to more manageable size on the table saw, clamp a piece of wood down next to the fence so the laminate doesn't run underneath your fence. 

What colors do you have?  I think it would make nice backers to fret work cutting. 

I would think cutting laminate with a scroll saw blade would dull your blades rather quickly.  I've used laminate for counters, shelves and cabinets, but that's about it.

Oh, you might could use it for stencils.  ???

Karl

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
If by laminate you mean a Formica type product, I have used it extensively as a backer.  I have also use it for an overlay if the color is just right.  As was stated do not use a reverse tooth blade.  Also stated is to sandwich it between two pieces of other wood.  It is hard on blades. although I have cut as many as 3 thickness sandwiched.  Slow going tho.

jon

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:21:18 pm »
I use laminent all the time ( Im cheap like that) I use it for backer yes you could put it between two pieces of wood but then ur waisting wood stock depending on the size of backer 12"x12" i just use sprey glue (or rubber cement) and glue it down to cardboard then run blue painters tape and run it over the top side of the laminent apply pattern on top of that and use a small blade DO NOT USE SPIRAL OR A REVERSE BLADES they will cause you to send the piece accross the room then make you run over to it and stomp on it again just for good messure. besides backers it works very well maken cheap wood look like solid wood use it as detail pieces. if you find that you keep breaking it and you are sure your not pushing too hard and your blade is sharp you need to soften the grain try cutting the laminent to the desired size with a razor knife, mix 1 cap full fabric softner (uncented) 2 tsp bakeing soda to 10 gallons HOT water in the bath tub lay the piece in the tub for and hour or so makeing sure it is submerged under water this will soften the grain and clean the piece at the same time, pull it out and pat it dry then let it air dry until it is dry but plyable then your ready to cut. if ur talking formica u cannot use the bath above ull end up with a mess...

SMF

Teknoromi