Author Topic: Last Request (for awhile) I promise  (Read 1930 times)

SamCec

Last Request (for awhile) I promise
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:57 pm »
In my previous post, I mentioned I had 2 adult children. Grampa was kind enough to do the previous request for my daughter. Now my son needs equal time. There are 2 attached pictures of his dog. Can I bother someone to make a template for me? Either picture can be used.

Before someone does this for me, I would like to add the following. I am a scroll saw newbie. I wish I could offer something in return but the only thing I can offer is a very sincere "thank you". I have several tools I have used trying to do these myself (CS4 Photoshop, Coyote Stencil Shop, Gimp) and I am having a very hard time grabbing the concept of what needs to be done. Besides that, I have no artistic capabilities. If anyone can help me learn the correct way to do patterns using any of the tools I mentioned, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sam

northie66

Re: Last Request (for awhile) I promise
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:27 pm »
I think that prior unkind post made people uncomfortable about asking for patterns. It's a shame too because I think Grampa enjoys it. I've never heard anything negative come from his mouth or any other people who offer their patterns.

And Sam, don't think just because you're a newbie that you don't bring anything of value to this forum. Even the most experienced people learn things in here. And sometimes the newbie questions bring up topics some never think to ask. Everyone here is of value. Don't forget that.  :D

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »
I think as long as people are wanting, I believe our pattern makers are willing.  ;D
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
Janet and Russ have said it all! As for me I enjoy answering questions, as long as I have a correct answer. And I think I can speak for Grampa, Joleet and all the other pattern makers, They wouldn't do it if the didn't enjoy it!
Dan In Southern California

jon

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »
i must have missed the "unkind post"

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:08 am »
Janet is right, it is to bad one post has made everyone uncomfortable now about requesting patterns. Russ said it all. I don't think Steve would have put the category "Pattern Request" if he was not expecting patterns to be requested. As I have said before I am not a pattern designer, like you said Sam, I myself have Corel Draw, I bought it after watching Steves videos, I tried to make some patterns, but I have learned to leave it to the experts.

Mark

grampa

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:28 am »
Hi Sam, You ask for as many request as you like thats what this family of scrollers is all about, we help each other in any way we can, If you ask me for a pattern and you like it then saying thank you and posting a finished photo is enough for me ;D ......I had a go at  your dog and seeing that you said you are a bit of a newbie I made it a fairly easy cut, if you want another request in the future just say how much detail you would like sometimes it puts people off if I make a pattern that requires a hundred starter holes ::)
 anway hope its ok..............Paul ;D

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:34 am »
great pattern as well the other.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:30:16 am »
Sam, As stated before, most of us are glad and eager to help.  The more you cut these type of patterns, the more you will be able to see how to apply the programs.  I am not only artistically challenged, I am computer challenged, so making patterns is still a huge struggle for me.  I have coyote stencil shop and am getting better at it but still take way too much time trying.
I have been doing this for a few years and make a pretty good living at it but still learn something new here every day.

SamCec

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:56:32 am »
I think that prior unkind post made people uncomfortable about asking for patterns. It's a shame too because I think Grampa enjoys it. I've never heard anything negative come from his mouth or any other people who offer their patterns. ...

Janet: Did I say something. OMG, I hope not!! Grampa and others like you have been so kind to me. I would never intentionally say anything negative about anyone.

Sam

SamCec

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:32:16 am »
... I am computer challenged, so making patterns is still a huge struggle for me.  ...
Julie: Maybe I can offer some help to everyone. During my working career, I taught computers. I never really got into the hardware end of things; my expertise was in software. I know this is NOT the thread to post information so I just created a thread in the "Introduce Yourself" forum called "Knowing Sam".
Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:12 am »
Thanks a million, Sam.  I often need assistance with computer questions and feel real stupid for asking.  Usually it is the terminology that gets me hung up.  I plan on taking a class in the near future but have too many irons in the fire right now to do so right now.

SamCec

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:45:18 am »
Hi Sam, You ask for as many request as you like thats what this family of scrollers is all about, we help each other in any way we can, If you ask me for a pattern and you like it then saying thank you and posting a finished photo is enough for me ;D ......I had a go at  your dog and seeing that you said you are a bit of a newbie I made it a fairly easy cut, if you want another request in the future just say how much detail you would like sometimes it puts people off if I make a pattern that requires a hundred starter holes ::)
 anway hope its ok..............Paul ;D
Grampa: Another excellent job--THANK YOU.

I will post the finished projects. Give me a couple weeks but I will not forget.

Sam

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:53:56 am »
I know that the "Scrollsaw Village" site has been mentioned on this forum before and I have been a member since I started scrolling as it was the only place I found helpful info until Steve turned my world upside down!

There is a section on the 'Village' that they call "Village University Classes" that gives very complete and accurate instruction and I believe videos in the art of making patterns with several programs...some are even available on DVD

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1303

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone "jump ship" but what the He## take information and instruction where you find it!

It doesn't cost anything but a short registration process and your time to gain some more knowledge!

And when you get the knowledge...POST IT HERE for the benefit of all!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:59 am »
Sam....

Regarding the above comments, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!  This site is more like a huge family trying to help each other advance in thier passion of scrolling.  I for one totally enjoy trying to make a favorable and cuttable pattern for our members and hope any contribution I can give will help someone.  So, keep on requesting.

By the way "Gramps" your pattern is awesome!

Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

SMF

Teknoromi