Author Topic: Which way  (Read 2581 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Which way
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:04:07 am »
Which way do you cut? I cut from right to left or feed the wood in anti clock wise, I also do the same on the band saw when poss. they say it is some thing to do with the making of the blades
Jimbo

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Re: Which way
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:54 am »
ive never thought about it before, but i mostly go counterclock wise.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:31:11 am »
I'm strange I go both not at the same time tho.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:04:32 am »
I cut both ways all the time, as the design dictates.  I guess I was more comfortable cutting clockwise, but I have taught myself to be just as comfortable counter clockwise.  Some designs need to be cut that way. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:42 am »
Mostly counterclockwise.  I can go either way.  I read somewhere in a book when I was learning it was better to pick one or the other so you were consistantly on the same place on the line if you tended to cut on the right or left.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:16:57 am »
I cut counterclockwise on inside cuts, clockwise on the outside.  I read somewhere it is best to keep the right side of the blade into the waste area because if it is going to drift it will drift to the right.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:33:43 am »
I have always cut both ways, as the pattern dictates. I am ambidextrous so both  clockwise an counter clockwise feel comfortable.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:08 am »
I wonder if it matters if your a righty of lefty? I cut counter clockwise (righty) sometimes I find myself cutting the other way and it just doesn't feel right
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

chips

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:01 am »
 I have read that the way blades are made there is a slight burr on the right side so blades tend to drift in that direction. Altho I cut in both directions when necessary, I try and cut so the blade will drift into a waste area. It's easy to go back and "shave" the excess to get back to the line, but kinda hard to put wood back on. Yeah! I know!! No one will notice when you take the pattern off, but if a line is supposed to be straight, to me, at least, it shows up like a sore thumb.

Pete

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:02:16 am »
I cut left to right i'm a lefty and cutting that way i feel i have better control.
Todd

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:20:38 am »
I use Olsen blades and they are bang on all the time.  I really don't experience any wandering one way at all and the control I have is perfect.  My partner also uses these blades and feels the same way.  We have tried all kinds of other blades and it seems that we have to fight with them to follow the lines. I sometimes don't know how people cut with them.  I don't get paid to endorse any one kind of blades, and I really did try many others to see if it were just me or if I had tried them earlier in my 'career' when I didn't cut as well, but I recently came to the same conclusion.  They just follow where I go, no matter which direction I am turning and it makes it very easy for me to scroll in both directions.

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:54 am »
Sheila, I found that to be true on the platinum line but dont really care for the regular reverse tooth blades.  Which ones do you use on the reverse tooths?

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:35 am »
I use the 2/0 and 2 regular reverse tooth mainly.  Last night I cut some padauk (1/2") and the Mach 3 blades did fine also.  The control on all of these is pinpoint for me.  No pull or delayed turning either way.  I also use the 5 regulars a lot when I need to do larger straight or circular cuts because they are more stable.  I use the above blades about 95% of the time on what I do.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:28 am »
I've been doing a lot more tiny projects lately and have excellent results with the smaller sizes but all of mine are the platinums.  I started with the regular reverse tooth blades but found they broke more often.  I tend to wear them out instead of breaking the platinums.  I have some of the regular ones - I'll have to give them another try on some ornaments.  I have also tried to slow down a bit because of another thread.  I used the 2/0, 0 and 2 for the last batch of arrowhead ornaments and they were spot on.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 05:12:44 pm »
I also cut both ways but I always feel that the blade is cutting easier counter-clock wise and get a straighter line[ if that is possible for me] I have used both Olsen and FD and find the FD are most of the time sharper and last longer
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi