Author Topic: Bent End  (Read 2203 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Bent End
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:14 pm »
Good Day Folks!

Hope I am not wearing out my welcome with all my questions.  I just changed the blade for the first time, and noticed that the ends are bent, more so on the top end.  Is this normal?  It didn't seem to affect my cuts, that I know of, I have been having issues making turns, but I figured it was because I am just getting started, and I seem to be getting better.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Bent End
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
Hey Steven, First of all what kind, size and brand of blade are you using? The bent ends usually means that you are tightening the blade clamp to tight. If the blade slips in the blade clamp, sand the ends of the blades before you mount the blade. Most blades have some oil on them from manufacturing. So if you sand the ends it will clean off the oil. You want to snug up the blade clamp just enough so you can add the proper tension, but not so much that you bend the ends of the blade.
If you still have problems, post back and we will cover other fixes.
P.S. I live to answer questions from beginners!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:34:09 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to mention the blades I am using - it's a FD SR #5 - I didn't have a problem with the blade slipping, I just inserted the blade and tightened the thumb screw (didn't apply much pressure) then turned the tension lever on the DW788 and plucked the blade until I got a "ping".  I was using Steve's program, that is on the main page. 

Thanks for the quick reply,

Steven

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »
I agree with Dan. The only time I have have heard of bending the ends is over tightening or not getting the blade in the clamps right. Can you take a picture of the blade and post it ?  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:25:17 pm »
I will post a picture tomorrow.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
It is possible the bent ends are caused by the blade holder one the side you do not tighten has as a rule a grub screw in it and it has come loose if so screw it back in,
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:47 pm »
Steven, did you adjust the set screws on the left side of the blade clamps? If the set screw is no protruding in the opening of the blade clamp, the blade will ride into the hole when you tighten the thumb screw and cause the blade to bend.
Dan In Southern California

chips

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:50 am »
What I've found on my 788 is that if the blade is set to "high" in the top clamp it will get a bend in it. The cure for me has been to set the blade further into the bottom clamp. It appears as tho blade goes to far past the tightening screw. Not having really looked it over it would appear as tho the blade , before being tightened, rests against something that sticks out slightly, and when the screw is tightened it gets bent. Possibly as pointed out I need to look the area over more carefully and make some adjustment. But as the original poster mentioned it doesn't seem to affect the cutting any.

Pete

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:19 pm »
Thanks all for the replies, I think I have it figured out, thanks to the suggestions -

1) I was putting the blade to high in the clamp

2) If you remember, I posted about centering the blade, I think I had the set screw to far out, I re adjusted it - the blade is a little to the right again, but not bad.  I think it might need to be that way, in case I need to tilt the table.

Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to reply!  I am learning a lot in my new hobby.  I am having a lot of fun!

Steven

northie66

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:53 pm »
Mine bend too sometimes.  I've tried everything mentioned... except not putting the blade too high in the clamp.  Since I'm a bottom feeder, I put it in the bottom clamp first... so that part is kind of hard to adjust.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:55 am »
Good Day Folks!

I think I just need to step back and take deep breath and relax. I think I maybe over thinking. I just picked up a book called Scroll Saw for the First Time at half price books, started to read through it and re read some posts. I am still having some issues with the set screw on left side both top and bottom. I am going to try again tonight and see if I can get it figured out.
Steven

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »
Janet,  Even though I know what it means, I have a hard time thinking of you as a bottom feeder!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi