Author Topic: A rare find??  (Read 1330 times)

Wildthang

A rare find??
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:08:46 pm »
Ok, since there is not a section for ?Gems? or ?Rare Finds?, I will post this here
A crate came in where I work, and I was glancing at the wood off and on for a couple of days. Finally I went to the boss and told him I would like have the wood from the crate. I started doing some research on the wood before I had it. The crate was marked Indonesia.

After doing the research, I now have an idea what the wood might be. After I received the wood, I cut off a small piece from the end of the board that was split and sanded both sides. I put polyurethane on one side and left the other side just sanded .I took it to Woodcraft to see if they could identify it. They could not outright say what it was. They said that given where the crate was from that it might be Kauri pine or Tallow wood. So now it?s back to research.

After a couple of hours of looking at the woods of the world, I am convinced that it is not either of the two that Woodcraft said it might be. I am convinced that it is the wood I thought it was from the beginning.  I think it is Teak.

Everything seems to point to Teak, everything from the dulling of the blades to the smell of the wood when it is cut. But I am posting to get more experienced peoples options. The board that I got was 1 inch thick x 7.5 inches wide x 10 feet long, and if it is indeed Teak, would go in the range of $200.

The first pic is the sanded board, the second pic is my finished board, and the third pic one from artexport.com.

So what does everyone think?

Wildthang

Re: A rare find??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

Wildthang

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »
Judging from the grain and color - it could very well be.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 03:31:56 pm »
I agree, looks like Teak to me.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:36:08 am »
What I think is it's FREE wood, it looks nice, use it, does it really matter what species it is?  :D
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:06:08 am »
looks like the teak i have on my deck railing - i paid $50 for an 8' length, nice find in any case
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Wildthang

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »
What I think is it's FREE wood, it looks nice, use it, does it really matter what species it is?  :D

Well as a wood worker it is really a good thing to be able to tell someone what wood your project is made from, when  asked.  I would rather not say "I don't know".

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »
I think teak comes in different colors I have some off an old bed and it is a pale lemon color and is very hard, there is wood charts around but then it is hard to tell, it will not be Kauri as that is a soft wood but very dense the NZ native is protected and the only Kauri available is from the swamp
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi