Author Topic: Disc and Belt Sander Opinion  (Read 3027 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Disc and Belt Sander Opinion
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »
Good Evening Folks!

I am looking for opinions/thoughts on an disc and belt sander.  I noticed the disc size is about the same, so that's not an issue.  The question I have, what would (in your opinion) be better for the hobby, the 1inch or the 4inch wide belt model?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Disk and Belt Sander Opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »
Steven, I have all three, plus a random orbital sander. I use the ros to sand my blanks before cutting. I will sand to finish grit, usually 220 grit. Then when finished cutting I use a sheet of 220 grit to sand off the fuzzies.
I don't use the 1" often but it is good to have when you have a lot of edge sanding to do. I have a 6x48" sander which is good for large flat pieces and also good for finishing and squaring boxes.
So for a beginner like you, I would choose a random orbital sander first, then a 1" belt with a disk. then  a four or six inch belt sander
I also have a oscillating spindle sander which is good for sanding inside and outside curves.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Disc and Belt Sander Opinion
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:41:36 am »
I think it also depends on the type of projects you do to. I would have to agree with Dan. A random orbital sander, a 1" belt with a disk, and a four or six inch belt sander would be some of the first I would purchase. Build up your arsenal if you plan to stay in it. I would list all mine (15 different types) but then I would be bragging. LOL  8)

Also some inexpense ideas are:
3/8 Inch Drum Sander for a Dremel
Sanding Drum Kit for your Drill Press
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:42:41 am »
I have a ridgid belt/oscilating spindle sander, a rikon 6 X 48" belt w/10" disc, a hand held 5" random orbital, and three 1/4 sheet palm sanders.   As far as the stationary sanders go, I use the Ridgid belt/spindle sander the most.  I prep my wood with the hand sanders before cutting - it makes for less sanding later.

northie66

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:33 am »
I use my RO sander the most. (I thought it was called a palm sander - what's the diff?)

I have the disk/belt sander from Grizzly. I think it was $99. I use it, bit not as often as I though.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:10 am »
I have both a 4 and 6" belt sander and seldom use the 4" as the belts last almost 3 times as long on the 6".  They will last even more if you use the belt cleaner sticks.  I'm not cheap just frugal.  Of course the palm and random orbit are necessary too.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:56:28 am »
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.  This is my first "sanding station" - I was planning on ordering it from Grizzly and was comparing the 2 models.  I now realize that I will need more than one  ;D. I do plan on getting the spindle orbiting sander, and a palm sander also. Right now, I am sanding by hand, and also using my dremel.  I am building my workshop from scratch, I plan on being in this hobby for the long haul.  Money is tight, so I am only able to make a purchase every few months, but that gives me time to do research.  I really appreciate, everyone's input and opinions.

Steven

northie66

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »
What kind of stuff do you prefer to make?

I think if I could only get one sander for right now, I'd get the RO.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:00:39 am »
I have a 4" belt sander [linnisher] but find the disc sander is useless as it spins to fast and burns the wood, a hand belt sander and orbital sander is also a must for finishing if you want the job done quickly, I use a 10" disc sander on the lathe and run at 800rpm's and the paper lasts for a long time with out burning
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:38 pm »
I just ordered a set of drum sanders for my drill press from Klingspor's last night.  I had an e-mail from them today with shipping info.  Amazingly it will be here on Thursday.  New toys!   ;D

I have a cheap 4" belt sander from Harbor Freight.  I don't use it that often but it is irreplaceable when I do need it.  It has a disc sander on the side but I haven't ever used it yet. 

Question: Why is 1" better for edge sanding than 4"?  Is it just because you're wearing out a smaller/less expensive belt?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:22 pm »
The 1" belt sander stands permanently vertical and will get into tighter spaces. If you take off the plate behind the belt you can get it into a tight V area. Also having a smaller surface helps from getting flat places on a curved surface. It is just all around better for small projects.

Here is a picture of what one looks like.  8)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »
Becky, For me, it is easier to move the work piece around the 1" belt than the 6". Also the 6" is mounted horizontally so it would be very difficult to edge sand a work piece on it. As far as the disk sander, I use that for flat edges only.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »
My 6" belt sander with disk can be adjusted horizontal or vertical.  8)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:26 pm »
Russ, Mine can to, I just like it that way!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »
Like many woodworkers, I'm not fond of sanding, however everything is more fun with a motor added to it and since I like to make band saw boxes I do a lot of sanding!  I use a 6X48 stationary belt sander with a 9 inch disk, a 1 inch belt sander, a handheld belt sander, a random orbit sander, a 1/4 sheet sander, a set of drums for the drill press which all allow me to replace the paper with standard sheet sandpaper, a flap wheel, a porter cable profile sander, and various grits of pressure sensitive sandpaper I can attach to whatever I need to.  I also have a set of small foam backed hook and loop sanders for the drill press that are great for sanding the inside bottom of bowls or spoons, etc. I consider them all necessary and if one broke tonight I would replace it this weekend.  For something as tedious as sanding, it is important to me to have options on how to approach it.  No wonder my little garage shop is so cramped!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi