Author Topic: tape for stack cutting  (Read 2235 times)

boxmaker

tape for stack cutting
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:55:49 pm »
I recently seen a video somewhere on the internet, sorry can't remember where, but the guy used electrical tape for putting the pieces together for a stack cut. Anyone heard of this?. I think it might be easier to remove then packing tape.

Mark

Dan

Re: tape for stack cutting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:17 am »
Not sure I use Packaging tape with no problems. I have also used blue painters tape.

Dan

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:51 am »
I always say do what works for you. Give it a try and report back!
Dan In Southern California

Terry Jackson

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:58:41 am »
Wrap 'em in blue or green painters tape (delicate), spray on the glue and apply the pattern, and sometimes top it with clear packing tape.  Works well with stacks up to 6 or more layers.

Some use bits of thin double-sided tape applied in the external waste area.  Some used brads in the waste area.  Some apply tape only to the edges of the stack.  You could use anything that rings your bell, but sort of remember that you need to get it off the finished piece both top and bottom and have the piece take a finish.  That can be a challenge with the thin and delicate stuff, or maybe the top one id just sacrificial. You just have to get the glue residue and tape off, so if it works for you, it works.
Terry

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:46 am »
some use a heat gun to remove or unlosen the tape, pattern, glue etc., i use a hair dryer and it seems to work for me.  :)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:32 am »
I am not sure how that would work and I don't think it would be cost effective.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:16 am »
Since electric tape is rubberizes - it may not allow your piece to slide easily.  Also,  The glue in electrical tape tends to be a little gooey.  I use blue painters tape for two reasons.  The first is, it is made to come off easily and the second is, I can see it.  I have really bad eyes and the packing tape is hard to see on tiny areas unless you see the sheen.

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:47 pm »
Well I tried the electrical tape tonight, and I do not like it, Julie is right it doesn't slide very well and rubs off while you are turning. I like the painters tape idea, I have been using packaging tape and it seems to take me forever to get it off, especially on delicate pieces. Thanks for the info.

Mark

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43:08 am »
Mark,
for the packaging tape just wipe on, or spray on mineral spirits and let it soak in for a few minutes it will release the glue.  I have a spray bottle full of odorless M/S in my shop all the time for just such an application.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:25:29 am »
Dunk,  It never occured to me to put the spirits in a spray bottle.  I am going to do that today.  I have always dabbed it on.

boxmaker

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 09:57:17 am »
I do like using my packaging tape, I believe it does help lubricate the blade when cutting. I have used the mineral spirits for removing the glue from the wood, but never figured it would absorb through the plastic tape to help remove the tape. I also like the idea of a spray bottle, Thanks Dunk.

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 11:44:17 am »
I apply the packing tape to the pattern If I'm using hardwoods that my burn only, like Cherry, Maple and oak. I will not use it on pine, walnut, mahogany or poplar as these woods do not burn for me when cutting. After the pattern is applied, I will apply the tape. After cutting I use a heat gun to loosen the pattern. The tape come off easily with the pattern Then with a soft rag apply mineral spirits to remove the glue residue.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:15:37 pm »
You may find that the ms does not totally remove the packing tape and it may take a 2nd application.  I still find it less messy than other methods.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
I like to use spraying thinner rather than mineral spirits. It works better for me, not as much oily residue. You can put it in a spray bottle to.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:27 pm »
I use masking tape and it seems to come off a little cleaner then packing tape. I originally tried it because I was out of packing tape and didn't want to go to the store.
I also used electrical tape a couple of times when it was handy. The only advantage I saw was that the stretchy nature of electrical tape gave me a tight stack of pieces that were not the same size and shape. But the high price of good quality electrical tape makes it un-practical for most applications, for me anyway.

MrsN

SMF

Teknoromi