Author Topic: Easy finish?  (Read 2070 times)

Bill P

Easy finish?
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:25:25 am »
Okay, call me lazy, but I hate sanding and finishing.  I love to scroll, and am resigned to the fact that I need to sand.  I love Steve's method of dipping the project in oil, but the spray-on poly is too much of a pain for me.  Spray, wait, buff, spay, wait... you get the idea.  Is there such a thing as a finish I can dip the fretwork into (after the oil dries) and then forget about it?   :)  Feel free to comment on my laziness.

Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Easy finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:14 am »
I'm with you Bill...Love the scrolling hate the finishing.
I posted this part before but will repeat it for you here.
 I use the sanding mop and very little hand sanding.
When finished sanding, I dip it in Min Wax (lots of colors available) Wipe the excess back into the dipping pan with a rubber spatula.  Then I wipe it down really well.I lay it on 4 layers of paper towel,  cover it with another 4 layers and tap it gently with a rubber hammer to knock the excess stain out of  fret holes.  Or you can blow it well with the air compressor and wipe again. Let it dry a few days, then spray it with your choice of finish or leave as is.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »
Hey Bill, The first thing I do to minimize sanding after a project is cut is to sand to final grit before cutting. Then when finished cutting I only have to sand off the fuzzies with the same final grit, for me 220 grit.
After the oil is dry I use a spray lacquer. The lacquer dries very fast and you don't have to sand between coats because each new coat actually dissolves the top layer of the previous coat. You can apply three coats in less than 45 Min's.
If you have dust nibs on the finish, I use a piece of brown paper bag to burnish the finish and remove the dust nibs.
Fast and easy!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:31:52 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:27 pm »
I have a belt/disc sander combo but the thing I use the most is the palm sander. One side, then the other. Then I use those little sticks with the sandpaper glued on that I think steve taught us to make. Then I just spray lacquer about 3 coats - no oil.

I'm lazy too!   ;D

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
     I always do my sanding before I saw. Using the Olsen Mach Blades, #5rg I don't have to sand. As far as finish. You might try Tung Oil. Also, I have learned that you don't spray lacqure when its high humidity. Good luck. Dave 8)

sp_343

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:14:19 am »
Bill:  I'm right there with you.  I love to make things from wood...then the finishing comes.  I have a few projects that I have completed and never really "completed" because I'm lazy and get distracted by another plan or project.

I use some of the same things others have posted.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:24:19 am »
I always start with a sanded board.  Then all I have to worry about is the cuts and sides.  Finishing is not my strong suite either.  That's why I use danish oil so much.  It is almost foolproof.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:14 am »
If you ask me there are no short cuts or easy finish if you want a top quality product.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Bill P

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »
Thank you, everyone, for your input...even the one that made me feel guilty.  :D

Bill

SMF

Teknoromi