Author Topic: Pattern Software Request  (Read 1053 times)

SamCec

Pattern Software Request
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:10:06 am »
In a previous thread "Many Photos to Pattern Request", Ron and grandpa were kind enough to produce a template from a picture of my dog. I think for my first try, it turned out nice. See Brag Forum > My First Fret.

All of a sudden my 2 adult children would like me to do one of their dogs.

Is there a software application that does the job of converting pictures to scrollsaw templates? Assuming there is, is there any touch-ups that need to be done to the template so that it works good using a scroll saw? (I'm looking for one that has the LEAST amount of extra work to do.)

If the answer to my question is "yes", could you post or e-mail me (samc@pungysplace.com) the name of the software, it's approximate price and where I could get it?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Pattern Software Request
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:38:45 am »
Hi Sam,  I seriously lack computer skills.  I use Coyote Stencil Shop.  It is available thru www.carvingtechnologies.com for $79.95.  It works well for me.  There is a tutorial on their website.  You will get a lot of replies to this question.  There are evidently a lot of good programs out there.

sp_343

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:05 am »
I use Coyote Stencil Shop.  If you do a "search" in this community for pattern software, you will find alot of posts about this type of request.  Many other "scrollers" have posted information about what you are looking for...here is one post:
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=578.0

Good luck!!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:12:28 am »
Bitmaps vs Vectors
There are two basic types of graphics that I will describe that can be used to make patterns. Vector based graphics created by programs like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Inkscape. Bitmap or raster graphics like those created by Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, Coyote Stencil Shop and GIMP.

Vector based graphics are mathematical representation of an image. Vectors are composed of nodes which define the space in relation to other nodes to create shapes, lines and curves. These complex shapes are then layered upon each other in order to define an image. The advantage of vector graphics is the file size tends to be much smaller. You may enlarge or shrink down a vector graphic without losing quality because the nodes stay within the same relative position to one another. The mathematical formulas recalculate the image based on node information, so there is no information that is lost (or gained) during resizing.

Bitmaps are a rectangular grid of pixels (blocks of color) used to define a picture. The more pixels that are used in an image, the more information the image contains. This is called resolution. The higher the resolution is, the more detail you can pull from an image. You can enlarge a low resolution graphic. But since a low resolution only has so much information (number of pixels), when you enlarge it, it only spreads that information over a larger area. You do not gain additional detail by enlarging a low resolution graphic.

So it also depends on the type of pattern you want to make. I would use Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, Coyote Stencil Shop and GIMP for photos/portraits. Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Inkscape for designs (Welcome Sign).

Steve also did a review on Coyote Stencil Shop.
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2008/08/coyote-stencil-shop-review.html

I hope this helps.   8)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:15:04 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:29 am »
I think the answer is NO.
you can do some great first steps with the software mentioned.
also see the video's of Steve.
My experience is that when the fine tuning starts, I stop counting the hours.
it takes a lot of work to clean up the dots and create the islands to cut.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi