Author Topic: My First Fret  (Read 1932 times)

SamCec

My First Fret
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »
About 2 weeks ago, I entered a thread in Pattern Request  called Many Photo to Pattern Request.

Many people were helpful in giving me suggestion. Ron and granpa converted a picture of my dog to a template. Attached is the end result.

Please I do NOT take offense to suggestions. They help me learn. Since this is my first attempt, would you critique it and let me have your comments.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: My First Fret
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:52:00 pm »
I love it! I remember seeing the pattern and you nailed it! Now all it needs is a nice shop made frame!
Dan In Southern California

sp_343

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:43 pm »
I think it turned out great!  Nicely done...thanks for the update!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:46:42 pm »
Beautiful job SamCec . Thanks for posting your work.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »
you did a wonderful job. thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your work.  :)

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:25 pm »
You did good Sam. My wife just saw it and said it was real cute. The cutting came out great. I would use a black colored backer, it will make the cuts stand out more and like Dgman said put it in a frame and you can hang it on the wall.

Mark

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:14:50 am »
very nice job done.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SamCec

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:55:48 am »
You did good Sam. My wife just saw it and said it was real cute. The cutting came out great. I would use a black colored backer, it will make the cuts stand out more and like Dgman said put it in a frame and you can hang it on the wall.

Mark
Mark: thanks, I will definitely follow your suggestion.

I need to ask a question: The picture size is 11-1/2 x 7-1/4 inches. Your professional opinion: how wide should the frame be?

Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:08:20 am »
Great job.  You got your feet wet on a good one.  You don't want to overpower you cutting with your frame.  I would go 1 to 1-1/2 inches. 

SamCec

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:21:10 am »
Great job.  You got your feet wet on a good one.  You don't want to overpower you cutting with your frame.  I would go 1 to 1-1/2 inches. 
julied: thank you.

I don't need to say this because you folks who have been around this site for a while and those of you who are "well seasoned scroll sawers" already know what I am about to say--This forum is the best.

I'm new to scroll sawing, approximately 6 months. Because of various reasons, I can't do it every day so I don't have that much experience. Any question I have asked has been responded to by many of you and explained in such a way realizing I am a newbie. All I can say is: THANK YOU

Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:58 am »
Sam, most of us speak from making mistakes or opinions on our work.  I usually frame my 11 X 14 pieces with 1 X 4 lumber which is 3 1/2 inches wide.  I ended up there because customers were telling me the frame was too bulky or too thin.  It seems to work for me.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:30 am »
I?ve made a lot of framed Intarsias and have found that if I make my frames, following this basic RULE OF THUMB, they turnout visually appealing:

Split the difference over the height and the width to determine the frame width. 1? = 1 foot   

So, if a picture is 12? x 12? then make the frame 1? wide.
A picture that is 12? x 24? then split the difference and the frame would be 1.5? wide. 
A 36? x 60? picture gets a frame 4? wide.
(On Large pictures if you make the frame ?? wider or narrower it?s OK, it?s still within the Rule Of thumb).

Hope this helps.  Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
I build all my own frames. Most of my work is 8" x 10" or 11" x 14". All my frames are 1 1/2" wide.  I agree with Al, the bigger the project the wider the frame needs to be.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »
Sam if this is your first fretwork I am looking forward to seeing more. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.
David

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:43 pm »
I agree if this is your first I'll be happy to watch as you progress over the next few months.  Do your self a favor and sign and date the back....You'll be amazed at your progress in a short amount of time.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi