Author Topic: saw speed  (Read 6718 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
saw speed
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
At the scroll saw work shop I attended a few weeks ago I was asked by the instructor why I was cutting at such a high speed [just under half], he turned the speed rite down and said try that, and I have been cutting at a low speed ever since, I have only broken 1 blade and they are lasting a lot longer, in fact I have worn the teeth off 3 blades on hard wood and no breakages, so I was wondering why they have speeds up to 1600 SPM on saws??? I have found I have more control at a lower speed and just as fast
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: saw speed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:23 am »
Jimbo, I very rarely cut at full speed, however I do not saw at a set speed. I set the speed  according to "feel". I will set the speed Depending on the type and thickness of wood and type and size of blade. If I feel I'm cutting to slow I will increase the speed. If I feel I can't control the cut I will slow it down, all by feel.
Dan In Southern California

daneklund

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:09:47 am »
I pretty much am in line with dgman.  I will vary the speed depending upon the wood, blade type, and the pattern.  It really is a feel thing and the more you cut, the better the feel.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:16:02 am »
Me too!

I have been doing this for about two years now and I am finally "getting the feel" for it.

Just keep experimenting as you go along and it will begin to come.

Wood + Blade + Saw Speed = "The Feel"

AND "The Feel" for me will likely be different than for you.

The ONE thing I have to keep reminding myself...."Let the BLADE do the work"!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Leldon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:23 am »
I usually cut at full speed.  With the right blade and as long as I am not cutting just one layer of 1/8-1/4" wood I can stay on the line with out trouble.  The only time I slow my saw down is when cutting the one layer of thin stuff or cutting corian.  I guess I have a feel for the wood and blade and know when to stop and go.  It all comes with time, and that is what is the greatest teacher. 

northie66

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:00 am »
I'm always at full speed.  I don't even know where the speed control is on old yeller.  Maybe I should try this.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:53:09 am »
I am with the group that cuts according to 'feel'.  Usually it is somewhere in the middle of the dial.  I try to cut fast enough to not have the wood chattering (as I use mostly reverse tooth blades) but slow enough to keep on the line.  I don't like cutting too fast.  Maybe it is the type of things I cut.  I find that it is far more relaxing for me going at a medium speed.  The speed of the blade doesn't necessarily coincide with how fast you cut things out. I think I cut fast enough, but it isn't a race for me.  I like being relaxed and having fun and to me it is more fun to 'split the line' and really be accurate. 

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 10:10:10 am »
I "feel" for the right speed to.
I experienced that the higher the speed (short turns in thicker wood) the greater the risk at burning the wood.
also in fine work I keep better on track at low speed.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:29:23 am »
I cut at full speed. I think I just might try and slow it down on thin wood. Good suggestion.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:36 am »
Since I use nothing but spirals, i judge speed by thickness and hardness of the wood.  Harder or thicker wood = faster speed, thin or softer wood = slower for more control.  I am with Sheila I like to relax when I cut.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 11:05:47 am »
I adjust my speed control often.  Sometimes it feels right to slow down others to speed up.

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »
I am a full speed cutter but have just recently started to adjust the speed control down some. I am going to play with this more as I have been breaking blades like crazy.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 04:56:34 pm »
I think I get a cleaner cut at a lower speed and also eliminate burning and if a mistake is made it is only a small one, also getting back on line is easier, as with wood turning a higher speed gives a cleaner cut, BUT a mistake such as a dig in is BIG and repairs can take some time to do
Jimbo

boxmaker

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
I also tend to cut with a slower speed. It's trial and error, and once you find the right combination, where the wood doesn't jump, and doesn't burn, and you can stay on the line, you have the ideal speed for you. For me, if I turn the speed up, the blades seem to dull faster and turning and following the line is more difficult.

Mark

northie66

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »
Over the weekend, I slowed the speed up and it worked like a charm.  Thanks guys... and gals!  :)

SMF

Teknoromi