Author Topic: Aquariumpump as dustblower?  (Read 1650 times)

Dawie

Aquariumpump as dustblower?
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
A while back somebody had a tread with this topic or more or less this. I cannot find it, so will post my question here. I would like to try it, but as I have no experience with these airpumps I would like some more info. I went to the petstore today and these things come in all shapes and sizes. The shop owner was not sure which one would work best. He had 3 pumps there one that is meant for tanks up to 40l and then one for up to 100l and one for up to 150l. He was not sure how strong the airflow from the pump is so recommended I check first before I buy something that will not work for me. So can anybody enlighten me please?
David

Joesawdust

Re: Aquariumpump as dustblower?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:07:21 pm »
The 100 Gal. one should be plenty powerful

Greg

northie66

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:30:38 pm »
What do people do?  Tape the hose to the top saw arm?

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »
Hi Greg I was speaking Litres, will check on the gallons convert table later. Yes Janet that is whatthey do and what I plan on doing, as my saw's dust blower can not always cope and it is set to the side with a non flexible little iron rod thingy.
David

northie66

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »
Good idea!  I think I read that before but forgot about it.  I hate messing with the one that's already on the saw... it's either in the way or something.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:02 pm »
David the smallest pump will work well, the bigger one will work even better, but when it comes to dollars well...... and how far you wish to blow the dust.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
Thanks Merlin, I was thinking about the smallest one or the middle size one. I think I will be spending some money tomorrow.
David.

Joesawdust

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »
On my saw I mounted the pump to the stand and pulled the factory tubing out of the flexible blower tube and fed the tubing from the pump into it, then put it back in the bracket, that way you can still adjust it like the factory bellows, just with a little more power. Also since I use a footswitch I use an adapter to plug the saw and pump in to it, so it only runs when the saw is running. Those pump are quiet so they can be accidentally left on, sometimes for days on end, don't ask how I know this!!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:45:46 pm by Joesawdust »

northie66

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
Joesawdust you got it ALL figured out!!!  Great setup!

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 03:54:17 am »
Nice idea Joe, I am off to buy my pump now and hope to set it up later today, first need to finish of a project that needs to dry and it's not clever to have dust flying about then.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:32 am »
The factory blower on my saw works just fine and has plenty of power. I added a L.E.D light to the end of the nozzle to help me see the line.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Joesawdust

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:32 pm »
Russ, that's a good idea about the led light. How is it set up? Better yet maybe when ya get a chance you could post a pic, I would definitly be interested in seeing it.

Greg

northie66

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:26:21 pm »
Yeah... I'd like to see the LED setup myself.   ;D

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »
I will try to take a picture and post it. But it is really very simple for me to explain. About a year ago I saw these little mini LED flashlights for your key chain on sale for 50% off. They are about 3/8" in diameter and 2 1/2" long, they hold one AAA battery so that tells you how small they are. They where approx 10 or 12 left so I bought them all for about a buck each. I gave one to all three daughters and my wife and put one on my key chain. Then one day I was having problems seeing the line and thought, why not put one of those mini flashlights on the end of the blower tube. Two small cable ties later  I Can See.  Even after I purchased my magnifying light I still use it. It adds more light right on the line. Sometimes the simple things makes life easier.  8)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:22:20 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Joesawdust

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 12:23:44 am »
Thanx for the explanation Russ, your right it is simple enough. I'll start checking around for a light like that. I use a lighted magnifer but sometimes these tired old eyes need a little help.

Greg

SMF

Teknoromi