Author Topic: spray velvet  (Read 9175 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
spray velvet
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:42:51 am »
hi everyone i saw a product in a craft magazine for spray on velvet it's used for lining jewelry & trinket box's etc. as anyone used this product or know where to get it?
Todd

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: spray velvet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:09:50 am »
I believe what you are referring to is 'Spray on Flocking' and I seem to remember seeing it in one of the Craft Stores but can't remember which one.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:40:52 am »
I was going to try that and was advised not to. You spray (or apply) glue to the surface and then sprinkle the flocking on it and HOPE FOR THE BEST (good coverage) because you CAN NOT re-do-it ! :o
I was trying to line a small box with felt, velvet, or satin for a "home comunion" box for the church.
I ended up at Hobby Lobby and found some self adhearing felt that is sold in sheets almost like paper. It comes in ALOT of different colors too! I was able to cut pieces to shape with sissors and trial fit before removing the backing and applying to the surface. WARNING be careful because once applyed, it
WONT come off with out ALOT of work!!! DAMHIKT  ;D
Actually it is not as hard as I might make it sound but, it does work and is easier and less messy than the spray flocking. It also holds up well with use, the comunion box is a year old or more and is used often and still looks nice.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:49:32 am »
To get good results from flocking the flock material has to be appled with and air brush for the fibres to stand up and be fuzzy.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:05:04 pm »
For lining the bottom of my trinket box's I glue velvet or felt to card and place it in the base of the box, cut the card to shape first for a good fit, I don't bother gluing the card to the bottom of the box as some don't like it and it makes for easy removal
Jimbo

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »
I use the flocking inside some of my small trinket boxes. Thanks Judy you may have answered why the fibers never seem to look thick enough. The airbrush you refer to is that the cardboard tube that you get with the kit or do you use a real air brush like for paint. The way I do mine is, I apply the glue to the box bottom, then add a teaspoon or so of fibers and cover with a piece of cardboard and give it a few good shakes then let dry and remove the extra fibers in the morning. I just thought it was normal for it to be a little thin, I figured that is why the glue is colored the same as the fibers. I like Jimbos idea with the card stock, and I like that Jimbo does not glue it in either, It's hard to decide which color someone might like, this way if they want something different you can pull it out and change it.

Mark

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:08:39 am »
thanks for the info guys appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:13:18 pm by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:29 am »
I have used the flocking from www.donjer.com/ on several different projects.  You paint on the adhesive (I use an acid brush) then "spray" the flocking in with a cardboard tube sprayer like the old pest control dusters, and leave it to dry overnight.  Turn it over and tap out the excess (save it for the next project) and you are done.  Looks great and easy to use.  I just buy it at the local Woodcraft store.  I've been very happy with it.  Especially for band saw boxes.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:38:38 am »
that's a great idea to put inside.
isn't this flocking stuff the same as they us on mini railroad boards to make Grass and mountains?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »
I think the cardboard applicator might work just fine.  I have onkly used a regular air brush.  But it isn't easy.
I'm from North Dakota

sp_343

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
Suede Tex by DonJer is what I use.  Buy the kit and it comes with the glue, flocking, cardboard tube applicator and a small brush.  It turns out great and I have really liked the results.  The only problems I have with it is that I am not patient enough to let it dry and I start to "tinker" with it...if you leave it alone to cure, it turns out really nice.  Not cheap...but worth the money for me.

I use to use the sticky backed felt sheets, but this works much better.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:42:06 am »
I lined this piece with real velvet and made it double sided so it shows through the fretwork and makes the lining too.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 03:54:01 am »
nice box Julie
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 06:44:59 am »
Beautiful box, Judy.  I thought about doing that but have never tried.

SMF

Teknoromi