Author Topic: Post a pic or not?  (Read 2145 times)

northie66

Post a pic or not?
« on: September 04, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »
If I see a picture of something on the web... just from google images... and I recreate it on my own... should I not post a picture of it?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Post a pic or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:58:26 pm »
If it is from a copyrighted picture, then No. You should not post it here. You can make a creation from a copyrighted picture for your own use. You just should not sell it.  8)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:32:27 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

northie66

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »
It's not from a picture... it's from an actual item.  I saw a picture of the actual item, and recreated it.

kp91

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »
Is it an exact copy, or did you use it as the basis for a design of your own?

If it is unique, then it's generally not a problem.  If it's a direct knock off, than that could be a problem.

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:20 am »
    What ever happened to Freedom of Speech. The right to express yourself. To many laws. Dave >:(

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:35:23 am »
Sorry Janet. I was thinking of the pattern. If your going to post a picture of the finished project that you recreated it on your own I don't think that would be a problem.  8)

northie66

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:54 am »
I agree Rightarm... and with so much info and pictures available to you on the internet, it's impossible to tell what's copyright and what isn't.  I don't want to offend anyone but I think what I'm making is cute so I want to share it when I'm done.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:33:03 am »
Here is how I look at it. If it says do not copy then I don't use it. If not I might and give credit where due.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:57 am »
I agree with Ron.  If it is in the public domain and you are making a version of it - why not?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:38:16 am »
YOU made it...It is yours to show off however you wish.

I haven't seen anything about any 'scroller' getting sued for posting a picture of a portrait of Elvis or Dean Martin or John Wayne, etc.
That "Rascals" logo I did made them very happy and I haven't been sued either.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChaplainRon

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:52:11 am »
You will only be sued when it will be financially profitable for them. From what I have seen most scrollers make enough to buy supplies and perhaps dinner. I am sure there are a few racking in the money. Sure wish they would publish their business plan.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:43 am »
Everyone has to understand also that not only could you get in trouble with copyright laws but Steve and the forum could suffer for allowing the posts. I have had friends get a cease and desist notice within 48 hrs of a post. Trust me, I could care less if someone does make something from a copyrighted picture etc. for there own use.

You just have to be careful about posting it.

It is just a matter of being safe not sorry and not involving others.  8)

cherie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:25 am »
Hey Ed,
Not to sound like a smarty pants or anything, but the folks that you listed, are they not dead?  LOL.  (sorry had to say it.)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 11:03:30 am »
TRUE Cherie...

BUT!!!
The "estates" of entertainers and public figures control all the copyrights to their likenesses and works!

Start selling too many Elvis portraits and you will draw the attention of the "estate"'s legal representatives in a big hurry!

I almost got into trouble for using a Snoopy likeness on a flyer I once printed for my printing business.
Someone sent one to the Charles Schultz estate and I received a "Cease and Desist" letter from a big law firm in California!

Keep is small and local and likely you will never hear from the 'vultures' but get a bit bigger and they want their pound of flesh!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:02:30 am »
Janet,
I for  am also looking forward to viewing your creation.  I'd not be too concerned about copyright on this one, I would not try and sell a pattern of it though...<wink>
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi