Author Topic: Portraits Question(s)  (Read 5380 times)

Rightarm

Re: Portraits Question(s)
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:35 pm »
    Becky. I'm going to try something like this for the first time. what I'm going to do is firefighters in action. We have a firefighter that also is the photographer for our  job. He just gave me a dvd disc of photos that I can print off, & make patterns. I think these will make great projects, that I can donate to special functions that we do to raise money for charities. I have this idea to burn some of the wood to make it more realistic. I'll let you know how these turn out. Dave 8)

Becky

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 11:41:28 pm »
Good luck with that, Rightarm!  It sounds like a worthy project for sure.  The woodburning idea sounds good too.

There's lots of good advice in this thread.  I don't know how to make a pattern but it sounds like you do.  I still find most portraits to be quite intimidating but these were fairly simple.  I like to take my learning in small doses (and I did learn a lot from doing these).  Good luck again.  Please be sure to post pics!

Rightarm

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 11:59:50 pm »
   I'm going to give it a try. I've been playing around with making my own patterns. So far so good. I have looked everywhere for firefighters in action, and you just can't find them. You can find firetrucks & ambulances, stuff like that. Steve made a really cool pattern of 2 firefighters & a maltise cross that I made mini-clocks out of for a charitable golf outing for collage scholarships. And they where a big hit. I really want to make my own patterns of guys & gals on our job. I think it would mean more if the person that I did the project for , recognized theirselves, in I guess you would call it a marquetry style project. Well I guess I'll find out. Good luck on your project. Dave 8)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 05:53:08 am »
Try using a bernzamatic to singe the edges of your cuttings.  It works very well and adds a whole other dimension to your work.  I've used it on fretwork and crosses.  People seem to like it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 07:40:01 am »
I have been combining Pyrography with Scrolling for a few years now. It actually works well and looks great. If you need any help let me know.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Rightarm

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »
    What I have is the large hand held propane torch. I think I'll buy a smaller pencil type torch. Man, I hope I don't burn the garage down. I'd never hear the end of it! Dave :o

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 04:01:49 pm »
hi rightarm,

I saw an article once that did woodburning with laying hot sand on the wood.
never did it myself.

I bought a small branding kit this vacation, but haven't used it jet.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi