Author Topic: Portraits Question(s)  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Barry

• View Profile
Re: Portraits Question(s)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:22 pm »
Hi Becky -

I use 1/8 BB to cut out the pattern and I stack cut 2 or 3.  The stack cutting gives it strength and gives you some extra portraits to give away, sell or keep.   I spray paint the backing, also 1/8 BB, with flat black paint.  I don't use a glass or plexi frame, it just gets dusty or smudged, you can just dust off the piece as (if) needed.  Also you don't get the glare from the glass.

If you use a store bought frame look for a portrait frame as opposed to a picture frame.  The difference is the portraits are deeper and can handle both pieces of BB.  I buy all my frames at Michaels, great selection and they often run good sales.  Don't cut your wood until you have the frame (I learned that the hard way)  :)

I use satin spray lacquer to finish most everything I make.

Barry
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:01:38 pm by Barry »

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:20:33 pm »
I will try to respond but have a 3 yr old Weimariner trying to get on my lap.  I just adopted him today.
I normally finish my pieces with spray laquer and have used felt in a color that fits the piece and have also raided my Mother's sewing room for fabric to use.  I dab glue on the larger areas of the piece then stretch the fabric on.

Becky

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »
Congrats on your new pupply, Kepy!   :)

I am delighted to report success with no damage during fuzzy removal.  I didn't have Danish oil but I had some Tung Oil so I used that.  It looks pretty good so far.  I don't have a blow torch so that wasn't even an option.  I just used my needle files and was very careful.  I think/hope I got them all.

I also ran out to K-Mart to pick up some frames.  Only $3.99 each but I think they will look OK.  I tested them for size when I got home and there was no way another sheet of BB would fit in there so I headed out to JoAnn's to pick up some felt and scrapbooking paper to see what I liked best.  Didn't buy either one.  Well, I guess I bought scrapbooking paper which is where they had it but it was labeled "black suede".  When I held it next to the paper and felt they looked charcoal gray at best.  It won't reflect a bit.  It's fuzzy like velvet - looks very rich.  I think it'll look really nice.  It's a little pricey at $1.99 a sheet but when you get such cheap frames, maybe it's OK to splurge a little on the backing.   ;)

I'll look at them again tomorrow and decide if they want another go with the tung oil.  If they still look good I will hit them with the lacquer.  Pics should come soon.  I hope you think I have been as successful as I do, lol.  I'm not going to say they are perfect but I think they are certainly passable.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:37 am »
Hey Becky,  If you think it's good - it's probably a keeper.  Congrats on your first portrait.  Eager to see the finished project.

Becky

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »
I had a other obligations to occupy today and tonight we've got rain.   :-\  Since I spray on lacquer in the garage so it doesn't stink up the house, I thought the humidity would be too high to spray them tonight.  If the weather clears tomorrow, I hope to get them sprayed, backed and framed so I can take pics for you. 

Terry Jackson

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 02:24:05 am »
There are often quite nice frames at thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, and others.  They also may have cutting boards from exotic woods.  Yard and estate sales may have frames. Have found some quite nice ornate wood frames with a deep rabbett for just a $ or 2.  Just a thought.

If you cut 3 to 6 stacked copies of the same thing in BB 1/8" ply, some advocate spraying or treating with a sealer before cutting and some advocate treating after cutting.  In any event, sanding sealer will stiffen the fibers.  It is then much easier to get rid of the fuzzies and also to get a satin-smooth finish on your work.  The sealer will raise whatever grain wants to raise and hold it while you sand it off to smooth, so finish coats will be easier.

Stack cutting also offers the opportunity to offer both Left and Right facing portraits.  You can also experiment with colors and fabrics and stuff them in the frames for evaluation in a temporary mount. 

Lots of possibilities here.

Becky

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 04:23:15 pm »
I'll have to try the sanding sealer tip.  I think the fuzzy elves brought new fuzzies overnight.  I couldn't believe I did *that* bad of a job the first time but I guess I did.

But...I have pics.

Thanks again for the tips and advice you all shared with me.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 04:28:03 pm »
They look beautiful. It is a great learning experience. Keep enjoying the sawdust.

Ron

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »
Great job, Becky!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »
Wonderful, Becky!!!

Now get yourself started on one of the 'photo sharing' sites and put them up so you have them where all the world can see.

I'm using the Google site...
http://picasaweb.google.com/grampedstl/GrayBeardSScrollProjects#

Looking very good, darlin'....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »
Awesome job, I like it. Thanks for posting your work.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »
very nice job. thanks for sharing with us.

daneklund

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:45 pm »
Those look great!  Keep pressin' on.  You have finished the hardest ones.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
Nice work Becky and those frames look very good.  Thanks for sharing your work.

Barry

Becky

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  I think you could all tell before I posted the pics I was pretty excited by how well they came out.  Not perfect but pretty good for a first try.

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement.  I know I have avoided any number of failures thanks to the advice offered in this thread and others.  You all do a great job of helping to flatten out the learning curve for us relative newbies (my saw will be a year old in December).  I am very grateful for all your help.

I'll be making a few more of these for Christmas presents.  The zebra will go to my little brother who was unjustly accused of being afraid of zebras when he was about five years old.  His alleged fear of zebras has been an ongoing family joke for the past 40 years.  It'll be perfect!  ;D

SMF

Teknoromi