Author Topic: Dremel router???  (Read 7644 times)

northie66

Re: Dremel router???
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »
I'm still confused about it. Do I need the router attachment, the dremel table, or both?

And for that matter, should I use the dremel as a router or would it be better or more economical to buy a router?

Becky

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
I'd like to read some more info too.  That little plastic hold down base didn't look all that effective.  You could see the wood moving around which could be what Dawie was mentioning. 

Also, I would like to ask, what is the difference between a router and a trim router (besides the cost)?

Dawie

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 02:51:41 am »
Janet i think it depends on what you want to use the router for wether you would want the attachment or the table. The attachment works great for small things(never use that plastic inside thingy shown on the video) for making nice edges I use it around name plaques etc. I think the table would be handy like mentioned for making slits to make sliding tops for boxes, as making long slits free hand can be tricky. Janet a regular router is great for bigger things, but for delicate and small I find the dremel a fantastic asset. cccccccccccccc                23 . (OEPS CAT ON KEYBOARD)
He wants attentio n the catman that is.
david

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 04:14:04 am »
Janet, It just depends on how you are going to use them. The plunge router attachment decorative edges or for drilling holes in the scroll patterns.  The table can be used for decorative edges also and for rabbiting (making slots). If you could afford it both would be nice. If I had to make a choice it would be the plunge router attachment.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 04:32:32 am »
Becky, A stationary or fixed base router is are the standard router most people use. The can be hand held or mounted under a router table.
A plunge router is used for designs that require the router to begin its cut in the middle of a board rather than on the edge.
A trim router are lighter in weight, less horse power and are used to trim off excess laminates, paneling etc. There base can have a fixed edge for trimming that cannot be removed.  8)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:00 am »
The problem with a full sized or even a trim router, is the size and weight.  It is very difficult to route a decorative edge on small items.  Even if you are using 1/4 shank bits, they are often too large for 1/4" and 1/2" stock.  Forget about anything smaller.  I don't use that plastic insert either.  I believe it is a safety thing.  I'd have to pull out the instructions.  I won't use my big router table for these tiny pieces either - I like my fingers too much.
The piece moving around, as shown on the video, is pretty easy to remedy.  I use thick, woven foam shelf liners.  That usually keeps them in place.  On bigger pieces that I am using a bigger router on, I use Bench Cookies to elevate it and keep it in place.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:39 am »
Janet
 I made this mini router table for my rotery tool several years ago and use it all the time. 
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/routing/mini-router-table/

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 08:55:05 am »
That is a great find there Paw Paw Ray . Thanks. I will build that this week. Saves me from spending money on a commercial brand.  :D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 11:30:57 am »
That's great, paw paw ray.  That one looks almost exactly like the dremel except for the fence and the little safety glass over the bit.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 11:51:27 am »
Thanks for sharing that, Paw Paw Ray.  Solves a problem for me.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Becky

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:08 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Russ.  Also thanks to Paw Paw Ray for that link.  I printed the instructions and put them in a safe place.  I don't have a compelling need for a router but I suppose I might one of these days.  All I'd need to do now is build the thing and get one of the Dremel router bits and I'd be ready to go, right?

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:02 am »
I noticed on the "Quick Start" booklet that came with my Dremel that you can call them for a free DVD.  I called and they told me it showed some projects and "How-To's", etc for the units and they'd be glad to send it to me. Takes 2 - 3 weeks.  If anyone else is interested, the number is 800-437-3635.  You don't have to own a Dremel to get the DVD.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
I just picked up a Dremel 398 complete! $25 on Craigslist!

Looks and runs like it has never been used. Original owner told me she used it to drill three holes in some ceramic tile. It even has the little plastic collar that makes it into a router/edge trimmer!

Now to build that mini router table we recently got the plans for...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:37 pm »
Good find GB. Paw Paw Ray, thanks for the plan I was saving for the dremel table, can now build te table and then get to spend my money on something else.
David

Offline cyclistjim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »
Making your own Dremel Router table is just too good to pass up! So I finished mine tonight and I made the whole thing on my scroll saw. It works great. I used to use the Drill Press attachment and it worked but just was a bit more of a pain to setup. This is so much easier to use. I made the hole in the center of the top 1" in diameter which is plenty big enough but not too big. It is also bolted through my work bench so I don't have to clamp it to keep it in place. I also rounded the corners in the front. I could see myself banging into that nice point when I wasn't paying attention so rather then do that I rounded them so I don't have to worry about that now.

SMF

Teknoromi