Author Topic: Dremel router???  (Read 7646 times)

northie66

Dremel router???
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
Can u use a dremel as a router?  Is so please explain. Thanks!

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
Re: Dremel router???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »
Janet, Dremel sells a plunge router attachment for the tool and router bits. I bought the attachment to use to drill holes on patterns where my drill press didn't have the depth to reach. I read the idea on another forum and it was a solution to a problem for me. Dremel does not recommend using it but the fellow I got the idea from has been doing it for years with no problem, just have to be careful. I plan to buy some of the router bits, but haven't as yet.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »
Janet, Dremel sells router bits for its tool and there are other company's that carry them also. My Dremel kit came with a router base for the tool but no bits. Imagine that,.. I had to buy them separately.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:45:11 am »
I also use the dremel plunge router, primarily for drilling holes in the scroll patterns.  I have only used it a couple times as a router.  I am going to purchase the keyhole bit to make hanger holes on the back of my projects - both scroll and intarsia.  Right now I use a keyhole bit in my trim router, but the holes is normally larger than I like.

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:34:51 am »
I love my Dremel and have the Routerfoot(I think you call the add on part) with several bits, I love it works nice to make edges along smaller pieces, like eclipse I want to buy the keyhole bit for the same use. My Dremel lives on the selve just next to my saw within easy reach as I find new uses for it everyday.
David.

jim stiek

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:58:14 am »
we have a router table for the dremel works prety good for edgeing with practice. also have the plunge base for drilling.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:44 am »
I have both the plunge router and router table attachments.  Both serve their purpose but the Dremel 400 does not fit well.  The 300 does just fine.  I have used both for decorative edges and slots for small pieces.  I have also used it for drilling holes in places that I cannot use my drill press.

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 12:30:28 pm »
    I've been kicking around the same idea. Our local Menards carrys everything I'd need to make my Dremel a router. Dave 8)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »
For drilling holes the drill press can't, I use a regular 3/8" drill.  8)

northie66

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »
Janet, that is the plunge router attachment for the Dremel. You can use it with bits for decorative edges or for drilling holes in the scroll patterns.  8)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
Yup, that's it.  I use the little dremel table more than the router base.  I mounted it to a 2 x 4 and clamp it to my work table when I need it.  Stick it back up on the shelf - out of the way when I don't need it.  Either way, both do a pretty good job on small projects.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:35:48 pm »
I did not know they made the dremel table. Might have to buy one. I learn something new all the time from this forum.  :D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
I made several boxes with a slide in lid a while back.  That little table worked like a champ to cut the slots in the box sides to slide the lid into.

Dawie

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
That's it Janet. Just that I normally fixate the piece I am working on, it tends to slide otherwise. I to should look into the tableside of things.
David

SMF

Teknoromi