Author Topic: Help me decide which book to buy please.  (Read 873 times)

Dawie

Help me decide which book to buy please.
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:46 pm »
I have started a similar thread in intarsia. I need help to decide which book to buy to get me started in intarsia. Not all the books available to you are readily available to me, so I checked to see which books I would be able to obtain. If any of these are known by you could you let me know what you think of it. Here are the books:
Intarsia: Judy Gale Roberts and Jerry Booher
Inatarsia: Kathy Wise
Intarsia Woodworking for Beginners: Kathy Wise and Scroll Saw Woodworkers and Crafts Magazine
Wildlife Intarsia: Judy Gale Roberts and Jerry Booher
Thanks for the help
David
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:01:34 pm by Dawie »

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Help me decide which book to buy please.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »
I have Intarsia for bigginers by Kathy Wise.  Excellent illistrations and step by step instructions.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »
Hey David, Any of those book would make an excellent choice. I do have the  Judy Gale Roberts book and it's excellent!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:48 pm »
I don't know what to advise, except from experience, I purchased JGR's first book and looked thru it once or twice and haven't picked it up since. If it were me I'd go to "Intarsia.net" and  follow all the instructions there, which will take you step by step thru making a Intarsia Bear. Once you have completed that you'll have all the basic knowledge you need to make about any Intarsia you want.

That said, I have the following:
Scroll Saw Segmentation (Which has a few Intarsia Patterns also) By Patrick Spielman
Intarsia for Beginners, Judy Gale Roberts
Small Intarsia Woodworking Projects, JGR
Wildlife Intarsia, JGR
Intarsia Woodworking for Beginners, Kathy Wise
Intarsia Woodworking Projects. Kathy Wise

Each of the above have projects that take you step by step from start to finish, They are all excellent books. Bottom line: You can't go wrong with any one of the above. If you can preview the contents of each book, pick the one which has the particular project or types you'd want for yourself.  Make sure you keep your first Intarsia to look back on years down the road, lol

AL

Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:05 am »
Thanks for the info. Al I think I will check out the site first and as I  love wild life I will probable end up buying the wildlife one from JGR or the Kathy Wise one with the frog on the cover love that froggie.
David

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:30:23 am »
Just checked out the site Al, great instructions, now to see what wood I can get around here or little country does not have the great selection you guys have, so maybe I will have to settle for pine and stain the pieces. Have to types of stain at the moment think when I go to buy wood I will get some darker stain as well.
David.

SMF

Teknoromi