Author Topic: Making Bookmarks  (Read 1751 times)

boxmaker

Making Bookmarks
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »
I was thinking about making some bookmarks. Has anyone ever used thin wood veneer for cutting them, I thought if I stacked them, it would be thick enough.

Mark

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Making Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
I've been thinking the same thing. Thought I'd try to stack to about 3/8" and wrap in tape with a extra bottom piece for scrap. Anybody tried something like that?
Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:33 pm »
Haven't done it but I see no reason that it wont work! Give it a try and tell us how it went.
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:57:55 am »
I have not tried it with veneer(yet), but have used 1mm balsa wood for bookmarks, using stackcutting and that went well, so see no reason why veneer would not work.
David

Shirley

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:55 am »
Last holiday season I made them for everyone in our bible study class at church.  After seeing Steve's patterns for the bookmarks I picked up some Satinwood veneer and started cutting..  They came out great.  The veneer is a bit fragile so I used a utility blade to cut the sheets down to size and then I sandwiched the pieces between 2 pieces of cardboard, attached the pattern to the top piece and then wrapped everything in packing tape.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:15:01 am »
I just bought some 1/16" white wood from michaels for that very purpose.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 04:19:55 pm »
I tried doing it with veneer but didn't have much luck. My stack should have been a bit thicker for better control. Having a stable piece at the bottom of the stack is important.
The veneer I used was pretty thin and was pretty easy to snap, so my design should have been simpeler.
I also made some out of 1mm balsa ply or something like that from the craft store. Those turned out really well, but don't look as cool as wood grain.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »
I've never had too good luck with veneer.  it is too brittle.  I prefer 1/32" plywood from wildwood or sloans.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will try to sandwich some and tape it and use a simple pattern. Thanks again

Mark

boxmaker

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »
Well, I went out in the shop tonight to try the bookmarks on veneer, and it worked. I cut the veneer with a utility knife ( I cut pieces 1.5" wide by about 4.5" long), then I stacked 18 pieces and taped them with packaging tape. Then put a pattern on and drilled and cut them out. I threw out the top and bottom one after they were cut. The veneer is just to fragile to get the tape off. Next time I will try what Shirley mentioned, using cardboard for the top and bottom of stack. Thanks again for all the tips.

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »
Good job Mark! Instead of cardboard I would use 1/8" Baltic birch for the top and bottom. But thats just me!
Dan In Southern California

jim stiek

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
I haven't used veneer but I have used model airplane plywood don't know what thickness it is but works quite well. got it at hobby lobby
jim

SMF

Teknoromi