Author Topic: Black Out  (Read 2576 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Black Out
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
Looks like the site was down for awhile. Couldn't get on for about 45 Min's.
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

Re: Black Out
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:03:11 am »
That must have been when I was not around.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:22 am »
I couldn't get on for over two hours. Got tired of trying and went to bed.  :(
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:21:04 am »
I didn't experience the blackout, but I am noticing the site running slower and slower.  Changing topics takes awhile, etc.  Thought it was my computer at first, but doesn't happen anywhere else.  Is it only me?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:56 am »
To crabbyscroller and others....

Steve provided us with this forum and it has taken off like the proverbial 'rocket'!

The amount of traffic has put a serious burden on the server that Steve employed for the forum and as a result the 'queing' system on the server causes 'slowdowns' while the traffic is being handled. Think "GridLock"!

A dedicated server just for Steve's Blog, Pattern Catalog and this forum would cost More Money!

Steve has informed us that he is considering allowing advertising in order to defray the cost of a dedicated server. Some of the more active members have expressed that we would not object to ads appearing on the forum and I think he may be heading in that direction.

However, it all takes TIME and EFFORT and Steve, while being a great host, has a job and a LIFE so we must be patient and hope that things will work out to his advantage and thereby to ours.

Face it...we are spoiled because this thing has been so quick and easy but neither Steve, the Server host nor we had any idea the forum would be so popular. It must be because we all are so anxious to share our knowledge, experiences, information and even our projects and we ARE a friendly bunch, Right!

The forum is only FIVE months old and is now experiencing some growing pains that we will have to accept and live with until things get worked out.

Want to help?   
Go to the Blog and Make A Donation!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Rightarm

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 12:29:37 pm »
    I really don't think Steve had any idea, (or the rest of us for that matter), how big this web site got, and how quick it got here. I really appreciate everything Steve, & everybody else does to make this a great place to land after a mind racking day at work. I don't mind waiting if this site is a little slow. Hell, we used to have AOL! So, I truley believe Steve will do what he can, when he gets time to do it. Keep up the good work. I'll see ya when I get home from work. Dave  8)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »
Hey Dave....

Be Safe and Be Careful!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dragonlord85

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:29 pm »
I was wondering, if someone donated server space how hard would it be to move this site to a different server. The Web package I have for my site allows me to have unlimited sites on it with unlimited server space and bandwidth. If it would help Steve out I would be willing to allow the move to the servers I use.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »
And by the way my server fees are paid in full for the next 4 years so price is not a problem.

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »
This is a very nice offer Kevin. As my knowledge on these things is very limited I do not know what is involved in moving this, but I am sure some computer literate person can enlighten us.
David

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:37 am »
Hi guys, it's a bit more complicated than it would seem at first glance. My host also offers unlimited storage and bandwidth but that's not the problem. When you buy server space you can buy shared or dedicated space. I am on a shared server which means exactly what it sounds like. There are other web sites hosted on that server. If I were to buy dedicated server space no one else would be competing for the speed and theoretically it would be faster. No guarantees.

There is more going on here than just the number of users online. All the messages on the forum are stored in a database. That is where the slow down is happening. Other things hosted on that server are still full speed. I have been trying to understand the details of optimizing the database for speed but this is getting pretty deep and I'm still trying to figure out what is possible and what is not. Allowing images to be uploaded apparently slows the database access. There are accelerators that can be installed to speed up the database etc. In other words there are many things to explore but they take time and knowledge. I don't mind spending the time but the knowledge is a problem. I have to research and teach myself as I go. I have had some help from a couple members here that are knowledgeable of the subject but I still have to figure out the details. Honestly I love doing this geek stuff. I like learning new stuff so I'm still hoping to make it better.

The option of buying dedicated server space is not an option at this point even with ads. The ads would not even come close to covering the cost. Out of the 15,000 to 20,000 readers of my blog only a little over 1000 use the forum. I'm not allowed by contract to say what the earnings are from my ads are but the few extra clicks I would get from the forum would be insignificant.  I am not against ads like they are on the blog but they actually slow things down and that's the last thing we need on the forum. It's just not worth it.

I really appreciate all of you being so patient. Forums are a little different than regular web sites. If a web site slows down you just stop going there and find someplace else. A forum is different because it is built by the users. You have an investment in time. You have met and become friends with other users. It's harder to just give that all away and move on.

Thank and feel assured I will keep trying to make it better if I can.

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:17:24 am »
Hi Steve,
As I said before I will stick around as long is it takes and even if it stays this spead I will stay. I have found that I like this place so much that it is the first place I come to when I switch on my pc and the last place I check just before I close up for the night. As you rightly said we have become friends  here all though be it miles apart.
Thanks for all you are doing for me(us).Keep thinking of yourself and watch your arm, don't overdo things, I know you like to be busy but keep on taking care of yourself in the process.
David

Emac

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:23:47 am »
One thing to keep in mind that a server is a computer. Just like your home or office computer, it will get bogged down. Optimizing the database is a lot like defragging your computer. The more attachments that are uploaded or custom avatars that are uploaded, the more it bogs down the board. Every time your computer logs into the forum, the server has to load everything that has been uploaded to it. The more people logged in, the more strain it is on the server and the slower it will load.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:16 pm »
Steve,

If this went to a dedicated server and you had a new level of membership.
 1. Paid member that allowed posting pictures.
 2. Unpaid that allowed posting text and reading only.

I would be happy to pay my way. You and this forum have made my start in this great hobby-craft fun and enjoyable.

Ron

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »
Steve and Graybeard, when I made my earlier post I wasn't complaining, only wanted confirmation that it wasn't my own computer.  You've answered that.  Thank you.

As for Ron's suggestion that there be a paid membership, I would have no objection to that myself.  I pay a game site $40 annually, and I guarantee I get a LOT more benefit from this site than I do from playing pinochle, etc. 

Almost everything I've learned about scollsawing and obtaining patterns have come from this site.  Like others, I've watched all the videos I could find and read many posts.  I'm still not a great scrollsawer, but I'm enjoying it more and more.  Slow or not, I'll be here every day!
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi