Author Topic: A "How to..." Request  (Read 2071 times)

SamCec

A "How to..." Request
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:34 am »
From Steve's Free Catalog, I downloaded a ".pdf" of a Business Card Holder. Around the design it has the words "Scroll Saw Artist". I imported it into Corel Draw X4. My intent was to change the wording from "Scroll Saw Artist" to a business I am trying to start "Wood Art by Sam". My original thought was: I could "un-weld" the words from the circle and use the "Text Tool" to change the wording. I can not un-weld. Does anyone have an idea how this could be done?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: A "How to..." Request
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:46 am »
Interesting question.  I think you can scan it in, then "edit bitmap" erase those words , save and then put your own on it.  Just guess here.  I have coal 5 and don't think you can "unweld"
I'm from North Dakota

SamCec

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:47 am »
Interesting question.  I think you can scan it in, then "edit bitmap" erase those words , save and then put your own on it.  Just guess here.  I have coal 5 and don't think you can "unweld"
Judy: I tried your suggestion but could not get it to work. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate your help.

Sam

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:25 am »
I copied the Image and opened it in Photoshop and removed the letters "Scrollsaw Artist with no problem.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »
Once it has been made into a .pdf it is no longer a vector graphic an you cannot edit it like that. You have two choices. Scan it or copy as a bitmap, .png, .jpg etc and edit it like a photo as others have stated or import it into Corel Draw X and trace it.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SamCec

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »
I copied the Image and opened it in Photoshop and removed the letters "Scrollsaw Artist with no problem.

Al
I have Photoshop CS4. I don't know how to use it well. Can you please explain how you removed just the letters.

Sam

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:21:21 pm »
As Russ said, It's not a vector pattern anymore , so search for tracing bitmap or perhaps a trace tool that wil convert the pdf into a .cmx  and that you can use.
I have Corel myself and there is a grafic tool called corel trace, but you started the topic with corel draw X4 and now it's CS4.
I don't know CS4, but can you import the pdf in CS4?

if so then press F1 for help and search for layers.
make a second layer on top of the original and write your letters on that layer.
Fill the letters with (white) paint and you have you new pattern.

else: you could try to convert the pdf :
http://www.freepdfconvert.com/
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SamCec

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »
As Russ said, It's not a vector pattern anymore , so search for tracing bitmap or perhaps a trace tool that wil convert the pdf into a .cmx  and that you can use.
I have Corel myself and there is a grafic tool called corel trace, but you started the topic with corel draw X4 and now it's CS4.
I don't know CS4, but can you import the pdf in CS4?

if so then press F1 for help and search for layers.
make a second layer on top of the original and write your letters on that layer.
Fill the letters with (white) paint and you have you new pattern.

else: you could try to convert the pdf :
http://www.freepdfconvert.com/
Sorry, the only reason I mentioned Photoshop is it was brought up by a return post. Al was kind enough to offer a solution.
Believe me, if there is a way to do it with any tool I have, I will be glad to give it a try.

My main objective of this thread is to be able to change the wording on the graphic. How it is done, I don't care as long as I can do it.

SamCec

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:32:32 pm »
Hey folks: GOOD NEWS -- A solution has been found.

Let me explain, I also had a similar post on CorelDraw.com. One of their guru's gave me a solution. There's about 12 steps. You can read about it at:http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/21505/95257.aspx#95257.

There are 10 post on that thread. Look for the ones from OTTO.

I thank everyone on this site who responded to this thread.

Sam

SamCec

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »
A Question for Admin or a moderator-- Is there a way for me to CLOSE this thread?

Sam

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »
Why would you want too? Future posts from other members could be valuable. ???        8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SamCec

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »
Why would you want too? Future posts from other members could be valuable. ???        8)
I guess I'm use to other forums. When a problem is solved, the status of the thread becomes "closed" but the thread is still available for people to read and reply.

"Closed" is simply an indicator that the problem has been resolved. Some of the forums I belong to, use the word "Resolved".

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 04:27:33 pm »
Sam I know you have a solution already, but to answer your question about Photoshop: I opened the PDF file and did a Save As, changing the format from PDF to JPEG and then you can open it in PS and make any revision you want using PS tools.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

SMF

Teknoromi