Author Topic: Delta 40-694 table not square to blade front to back  (Read 750 times)

Offline dsrussell@comcast.net

• View Profile
Delta 40-694 table not square to blade front to back
« on: August 19, 2024, 07:41:30 pm »
My scroll saw table is not 90⁰ to the blade front to back, side to side is perfect. This is causing a wider cut at the bottom than at the top, the piece will fall out of the bottom but cannot bring it out of the top. This happens when I make a circular cut. I can see no way to adjust this settin, anyone have any ideas?

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Re: Delta 40-694 table not square to blade front to back
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 03:19:44 am »
I have the same saw with the same problem and have learned to adjust how I put the blade in the clamps.

Instead of placing the blade spine against the clamp and then tightening it up I make an adjustment by moving the blade away from the clamp either at the top or bottom, just a 64th or 32nd should do it. I tighten the bottom first just snug enough to hold the blade and then use my square to know when to tighten the top clamp. Pre-stretch the blade and make minor adjustments as needed. Took a little practice.  Yes the blade will not be perfectly straight up and down but it should be pretty dang close to square to your table.

I believe it will work out for you.

Offline garryatpa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 01:48:23 pm »
Hi Russell.   Pics would help if you could.  I don't really understand why you have a wider cut at the bottom if your blade is at 90 degrees side to side.  Are you able to check the squareness of the blade to the table when the blade is at the top of its stroke and again at the bottom of the stroke ?  It seems as if the top or bottom arm of the saw is moving sideways as it moves up and down.  If the blade moves slightly out of square front to back as it moves up and down should not affect the width of the kerf at the bottom but if the arm or saw blade itself moves side to side as the saw is cutting it will affect the cut causing the piece to be removed to not come out either up or down. A couple of issues could cause this situation - the bearing or bushing in the arm is worn allowing side to side movement, or the blade is not centered in the blade clamps ( that is, the top or bottom of the blade should be moved , if possible, by adjusting the clamp so the blade is centered in the clamp . 

When you say the blade is not 90 degrees front to back I think of a C-arm saw where the blade actually tilts front to back in an arc as the saw blade moves up and down .  This is the way a C-arm saw works because it only has one pivot point at the lower back of the C- arm.

I hope this may help you.  I have no experience with this saw. I have run into this kind of problem where the blade is not centered in the clamp at the top or bottom and adjusting the clamp , possibly at both top and bottom , may be required to get the blade centered and sawing at 90 degrees side to side.

Garry

Offline garryatpa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 04:31:37 pm »
Hi again Russell..  Sorry I didn't realize your saw is the newer Delta similar to the Dewalt 788. Below is the link to a video to adjust the side to side movement of the blade and get it centered in the blade holder.  There is another video I believe, but could not find, that shows the adjustment for the back to front movement of the blade by loosening bolts holding the motor and turning the motor a hair in either direction as required to adjust the position of the blade.  Check the tension of the blade that it is tight enough to take out any slack.  When you are sawing make sure you push straight back as you turn your piece of wood to make your circle.  As you are sawing, "stop", lift your hands off the wood and if the blade causes the wood to move back into place aligned with the blade it could mean that you are pushing to the side as you push back. Hope I have not confused you and that this helps you .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye96Cc5dgrU

Garry

SMF

Teknoromi