Author Topic: Lifting by the upper arm...  (Read 1355 times)

marrtw

Lifting by the upper arm...
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
I bought a new DW788 for a real low price during a Black Friday deal last year.  I've never used a scroll saw before and thought this might be an cheap way to get started.  This weekend, I finally decided to get the saw set up.  After putting the stand together, I unboxed the saw with the help of my 81 year old father and lifted it in place.  We then tilted the saw to add some feet to the stand to raise it a bit. 

With everything together, I finally noticed the warning label to not lift the saw by the upper arm or "Damage Will Occur."  Oops.  This was the ONLY way we lifted and tilted the saw while placing the feet.  How would I now if it's damaged?  How fragile is the upper arm mechanism?

Offline Aggrajag

• View Profile
Re: Lifting by the upper arm...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:22:11 am »
I think the only way you will know is by using it. Check your blade (once tensioned) is in perfectly vertically with a tri-square, both left/right and front/back and then switch it on and hope there's no blade wobble.

Personally I would think you'll be fine and that they say that to cover themselves just in case.

UHMNL

Re: Lifting by the upper arm...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »
Go to: http://mikesworkshop.com/ and click on Q and A. There is a lot of help for a beginner, like tension on the blade,
how to cut a straight line. Blades have a tinny burr on the right side, what makes them cut to the right. You have to move the bottom of the wood some degree to the right. With practice, you will learn fast how for to go to the right.
If you have any questions feel fry to email me.    sdmike@alliancecom.net
I was selling the flying Dutchman blades but sold the business to the Wooden Teddy Bear. You will find everything on the
web-site.  You will find out, that it does not take long before you are hooked on scroll sawing.
SD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi