Author Topic: Help with Baltic Birch splintering  (Read 2674 times)

lpoandl

Help with Baltic Birch splintering
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:27:52 am »
I have recently been having problems with all my projects splintering on both sides, I use Baltic birch from a supplier listed on this site. I have never had this extreme problem before. I have to fine tune my projects using both files and fine grit sand paper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am becoming very frustrated as it is making me take longer to complete just one project.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Help with Baltic Birch splintering
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:30:57 am »
A few possible causes come to mind...not enough tension, not enough speed, a dull blade or a blade that's too large.  I stack cut 6 pieces of 1/16th inch baltic birch for ornaments and use an Olson Mach 3 blade with no problems top or bottom.  Also, if you are stack cutting, make sure the pieces are tightly secured together.  I use small nails in the waste areas, and lots of them. 

Hope this helps.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:02:39 am »
That was one of my thoughts too, Miss Nancy. And your blade could be out of alignment. Rather then me try to explain that process to you, go to you tube & look up scroll saw blade alignment. Out of curiosity, what breed of saw are you running? Something else, are you taping the entire face of the wood, & the complete back side? If not, try that. Adjust your speed some, & try a smaller blade.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:16 am »
I do not have a need or desire to do stack cutting.  I put a sacrifice piece on TOP, with the 1/8" BB on the bottom.  Tape all around both pieces and put the pattern on the sacrifice board.  That board protects the top of my BB and I don't care if there is splintering on the bottom.

For those of you that stack cut, you could put as many pieces of 1/8" on the bottom as you wish.

Works for me.

jerry

lpoandl

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »
Thanks for all the answers. My husband and I have Excalibur scroll saws and FD blades. I very seldom stack cut. I use the new stick N release tape with all projects. My splintering is coming after cutting the piece out when I have to fine tune any areas that need corrections. Dad to say but I will NEVER cut a straight line or perfect circle so, yes I have corrections to deal with. Again THANK YOU so much for the responses.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:11 am »
Guess we all incorrectly assumed the splintering was happening during cutting.  Since it's after, while you are cleaning up any problem areas, I'm thinking the files you're using are too coarse, and perhaps you are using an upward motion, instead of downward.  I'd try a very fine rifler file and see if that helps.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:50 am »
I realize this may not apply to your situation, but, I have discovered that if your drill bit is not sharp when drilling entry holes, the wood will splinter and you will not discover this until you have finished cutting. Also, I have learned to drill slowly, especially when using BB.

lpoandl

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:12:30 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice. I have starting making my own jewelry and I need 2 perfect sides. I will try all suggestions and see if I can get to work. Never had this problem until we purchased from this last wood supplier who is well know. We'll see just very frustrating at this point since I have become a vendor in a local store just recently.

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 07:06:23 pm »
And then, it could be the wood.  Not all pieces are perfect.   I got 10 pieces from one of the more popular vendors on the forum and they were all warped.  So if I may suggest that you contact your source and tell them there your problem and see what they say.  Who knows?

SMF

Teknoromi