Author Topic: Nut House  (Read 3061 times)

Becky

Nut House
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:41 am »
This is Sheila's pattern from the Sept. issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts.  I knew when I saw it that I had to give it a try.  It just appealed to my funny bone.  What I didn't know going into it was how hard it would be.  I cut all the pieces in a day but it took a little over a week to finish it.  The wood is maple and I used TransTint wood dye for the colors.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:44:02 am by Becky »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Nut House
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:14 am »
Oh Becky, That came out great! You did a wonderful job with a wonderful pattern!
Dan In Southern California

daneklund

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:51 am »
Superb job.  Really looks nice.  I like the colors that you used.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:26:31 am »
Looks awsome Becky. Came out very nice.
David.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:27 am »
Well worth the effort great job Becky
jimbo

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:12 am »
Hi, Becky.  I love your Nut House Plaque!  It really came out great and the colors are amazing!  I found that lots of segmentation takes a while longer than I anticipate. Sometimes I look at the drawings and I think they would be a breeze and then when I actually do them it takes a while.  I didn't know if it is just me being picky or what.  I have only been designing segmentation pictures for a couple of years and I guess that I should probably put a difficulty level on the patterns but I don't feel I have a good basis to grade them.  I hope you meant it was more time consuming than actually 'difficult' and that the instructions were clear.  Let me know if there were any concerns because I want what I do to be good for everyone. Your thoughts on it are very important to me.

Thanks for showing it.  It really is beautiful! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:58 am »
i love it, absolutely beautiful work !!

canadasgall

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:43:09 am »
you did a wonderful job with it looks great...good choice of colors it really makes it stand out. that is definitly one that belongs on my door lol

sp_343

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:57 am »
That turned out AWESOME!!  The wood dye was a good choice...nice job all around!!

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:01:24 am »
Nicely done. I like it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:03 am »
absolutely beautiful coloring.  Good Job.

Marshall

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:59 am »
Impressive work Becky ...........

northie66

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »
Love it!

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
Looks great!  I was also glad to find out specifically what you used for color!  When I get enough pennies together I wanna try those tints.

Becky

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:05:56 am »
Thank you everyone.  I don't post many of my projects but I was very happy with how this one came out and felt the desire to "brag" because it was a challenge for me.

Charlie, I spent what seems like a fortune on those dyes but you only use a few drops so I think they will last a good long while.  I just need to find lots of patterns that want the same colors!  I was at Woodcraft with my 10% off birthday card and the guy said maple can be hard to stain and suggested the dyes.  He also said the colors would be much more vibrant than you would get in a stain but, like stains, they let the grain of the wood show through.

Sheila, it was really the leaves that almost did me in.  I literally spent hours on those leaves.  Part of my trouble is that I really didn't know what I was doing.  All the patterns say shape the wood and assume the reader knows what to do.  Maybe most people do.  I looked at the pics in the magazine and gave it my best but I was winging it mostly.  Shaping techniques might be a good idea for an article sometime unless I am the only person that doesn't find it obvious.

The only part of the instructions that I found confusing (other than the shaping business which is true of all instructions I have seen) was that I wasn't sure about the veins in the leaves.  I scratched my head for a while before deciding I was supposed to saw along those lines too.  In hindsight, that was probably a stupid thing to wonder about.  If it's a line on the pattern, you cut it, right?   ::)

SMF

Teknoromi