Author Topic: English Newbie  (Read 3607 times)

Keith Sharples

English Newbie
« on: December 24, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
Hi Folks,  I'm totally new to Scrolling not yet having a saw, though it is on order! I hope to combine scrolling with my Woodturning to produce some interesting pieces.  I like to support charities through my hobby, and have donated a number of pieces for Christmas auctions etc. this year, something I aim to continue through the coming years.

May I wish you all a very Merry Christmas & a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Keith (Norfolk, England)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: English Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »
Welcome Keith! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
Welcome Keith! I am Pierre, from Qu?bec, Canada.
Pierre

Offline Charles Dearing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://woodenvisions.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »
Welcome aboard Keith! Great to have you.
To order my patterns, e-books, caps, t-shirts: http://woodenvisions.com
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlesDearingScroll
My Facebook Profile: https://www.facebook.com/TheCharlesDearing/

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 03:39:03 pm »
Glad you found us and joined Keith. Russ from Florida here, welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Rover2

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
Welcome Keith.  Al from Tennessee here and Glad to have you with us.  Combining woodturning with scrolling is an interesting idea.  Please post a picture or two of your first project.  Interested to see how it turns out. (no pun intended)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 06:33:23 am »
Hello Keith and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad you found us.

Keith Sharples

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 08:52:10 am »
Thanks everyone for your kind messages and comments, I hope you're all enjoying the Christmas break.  I've been spending quite some time reading through some of the posts on the site here and found some really helpful tips & tricks that will come in handy when my saw arrives.  As the saw I've ordered is a new model, it will be mid to late Jan' when it arrives, so plenty of time for me to do some more reading and watch some more videos on the subject of scrolling to help me into the learning curve.  I know from my experiences while learning to use a lathe, that you can read & watch tutorial videos until the cows come home, but the best way to learn is by doing it & working out where you went wrong & WHY!...the "why" is the bit you then learn from.   ;)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:26 am »
Hi Keith welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline ktempleman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »
Hi Keith,
My name is Keith also and have just joined the forum today. I live in Staffordshire.
I am new to scrolling too and have just bought a Sheppach vario scroll saw. Am using the scroll saw workshop to get as much practice in, in order to learn how best to use it. My intention is to make wooden clocks, but before I embark on making the gears I am practicing as much as I can with all manner of things.
On looking around for information I came across the Turning Art Facebook group. It looks to be interesting for all things turning. I have not done any turning since my school days, many years ago, but have been given a lathe so will have a go with that after I have some scroll sawing under my belt.

Keith Sharples

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:37:32 pm »
Hi Keith,
My name is Keith also and have just joined the forum today. I live in Staffordshire.
I am new to scrolling too and have just bought a Sheppach vario scroll saw. Am using the scroll saw workshop to get as much practice in, in order to learn how best to use it. My intention is to make wooden clocks, but before I embark on making the gears I am practicing as much as I can with all manner of things.
On looking around for information I came across the Turning Art Facebook group. It looks to be interesting for all things turning. I have not done any turning since my school days, many years ago, but have been given a lathe so will have a go with that after I have some scroll sawing under my belt.

Hi Keith,
                I just got my saw on Friday (Feb 7th) though not the one I was hoping to get as that one won't be available until lord knows when, so I went for the Proxxon DSH 2 speed instead.  I've been turning since May last year, just using a midi lathe (I'm Disabled, so can't really lift large pieces of timber to mount on the lathe) and mainly make miniatures, small bowls, candlesticks, trinket boxes, etc.  I am hoping to turn some platters & saw some designs in them to use as wall hangings or even clocks.  I'm in the far North West corner of Norfolk, about 10 miles from Kings Lynn, though originate from West Lancashire (Ormskirk). If I can offer any tips or hints to help with your truning, don't hesitate to message me on here!

Keep working the wood Keith!!

Keith S  (Norfolk, England)

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
Hi Keith
Welcome, These folks are great.
I am a newbie and there advice and pointers is priceless.

You say your from Ormskirk ? I lived in Southport in the mid 80s now live in Ipswich Suffolk so just down the road.

Regards Tom

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
Hi Keith , Welcome to the forum. Yet another Keith here this one's from Newquay. I'm partially disabled too - osteo arthritis (but not as far as ATOS is concerned as they think I'm fit) I bet you are glad to have your new saw to play with. This forum is like a second family and we all like to help as much as we can. So any questions just ask and if one person doesn't know the answer then another will. I have yet to ask a question that hasn't recieved an answer.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SMF

Teknoromi