Author Topic: Cupped Home Depot Red Oak Craft Boards (Clearanced Check for them)  (Read 1676 times)

redneckn

I was in my local HD and found that they had all their 4 foot red oak craft boars on clearance. I bought what they had left. The 1/2x6 x 4ft were 3.42 and the 1/4x6x4ft were 2.40. Some of the 1/4 inch are cupped.  Any suggestions on how to flatten them? Not sure if it was my store only or what but may be worth checking on at yours!

gkas

Re: Cupped Home Depot Red Oak Craft Boards (Clearanced Check for them)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:20:32 pm »
You cannot 'flatten' the board as-is. You have to flatten both sides by removing material via planing with router or planer, sanding with a drum sander or trimming with a table or bandsaw. You basically remove enough from each side so what is left is flat.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:10 am »
Try wiping them down with a wet rag (DON'T SOAK THEM!) and stand them on end so that air circulates on all sides. Lean it against a table or something at a very slight angle as close to vertical as you can get it.
Sometimes laying a damp board on a flat surface lets the top dry faster than the bottom and it will cup.
I've heard of laying a cupped board on the lawn cup side down and let the sun dry out the top a bit will help too.
I saw a video of a guy using a propane torch to dry out the damp side too but, I wouldn't try that if I were you.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:01 am »
Another way to get it "pretty good", if you have the equipment, is to saw the board into narrower strips.  Wide of strips depending on the amount of cupping.  Sand, route or jointer the sawed edges, turn every other piece over and glue it back together.  Be sure draw an arrow on the end of each piece before sawing, so that you don't end up gluing 2 pieces same side up.

None of your darn business how I learned that!   ;D   >:( 

jerry

SMF

Teknoromi