Author Topic: How do I glue up a basket?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
How do I glue up a basket?
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:43:23 pm »
I have all the pieces cut and ready for gluing.  They are for Steve's most recent post:

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/10/scroll-saw-basket-pattern.html

My question is how should I glue the pieces?  I've never cut a basket before so I'm looking for advice from someone who has.  I've go some ideas, but they may not be the best way.  My biggest concern is getting all of the "pins" or "dowels" lined up so they look continuous. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: How do I glue up a basket?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:02:22 am »
Karl use small dabs where the different layers touch and clean as you go.  The cleaner you are when assembling this the better.  I do not know what kind of glue you are using and the assembly of a basket of this type varies depending on the glue used.  If you have accurately cut the pattern the " pins " should all line up when you do your glue up.  Take a moment before doing the actual gluing and dry fit the basket layers.  Find the best fit and go from there.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:36 am »
I've done a number of baskets but w/o the pins (just base and the wobbly rings). I usually start with the bottom and line up ring by ring, mark lightly with a pencil where the two layers touch, go back and add a drop of glue between the marks. Using PVA wood glue like Titebond or Gorilla Wood Glue, you need to apply pressure to force the glue to seep into the pores of the wood. I use a bowl clamp ((2) 12x12 pieces of plywood with (4) 3/8 carriage bolts & wing nuts in the corners to clamp tight). Clamp for 5 minutes then carefully remove the basket from the clamp and clean off the squeeze-out. I usually use a pocket knife or flat blade screw driver to scrape the skinned-over glue off. Re-clamp and leave for an hour or two for the glue to set.

Anyway, that's how I do them. I don't know how you'd get the pins perfect. W/o pins, there is no special alignment needed. I always thought that if I did a pins basket that I'd add the pins afterward and have the rings spring into contact with them.   
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:34:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I got it glued up today and only one "pin " is out of alignment.  Maybe due to my cutting?

I will post when I finish it tomorrow.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi