Author Topic: Vase for Boxmaker  (Read 802 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Vase for Boxmaker
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:18:47 pm »
Hi Mark more info on vase making, the photos are probably out of sequence but you should be able to follow
there is one of my lathe showing the 4 jaw chuck to hold the wood on the lathe, next is the peice of wood I started with [a tree I cut out of my back yard] next is the hollowing tools, these are woodcut and made in NZ, the best in my opinion is the Rolly Munroe also made in NZ, these tool are for hollowing out the centre of the vase other tools are used for the out side, the next is the vase hollowed out abd ready for sanding and embelishment.
It is rather scary putting the log on the lathe at first, everything has to be tight and that has to be checked all the the time as if you do not you wear it.
One other thing the hollowing tools are expensive, one of those with handle is around $200nz
Jimbo

[attachment deleted by admin]

northie66

Re: Vase for Boxmaker
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:05:12 pm »
Thanks for showing us jimbo.  It's really interesting.

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »
Holy Cow! that looks scary, I never thought of the piece of wood being that big. Thanks for sharing the pics Jimbo. Mark

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:16 am »
Wow that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:27:53 am »
Jimbo thanks for sharing. I guess must sign off now seeing that this is already the 2nd thing I learnt today on this forum. Don't want my brain to overheat :P
David

SMF

Teknoromi