Author Topic: I Come for Opinions  (Read 2183 times)

pddesertrat

I Come for Opinions
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:05 pm »
I have been interested in pattern making and have downloaded Gimp and Inkscape.  I decided to try my hand at it.  I made this pattern of a friend's dog the had to be put down recently.  I got the picture of the dog from his avatar on a forum he and I belong to.  I had to enlarge it quite a bit so it wasn't the best of pictures, but not bad.  I did the pattern with Gimp, I haven't tried anything in Inkscape.  I scrolled it because I figured that was a good way to how the pattern would work.  I had to fudge in some places because it would has broken pieces for sure had I followed the exact lines in the pattern.  I'm not disappointed in it but realize it could be better.   So I come for learning and constructive criticism.  This is the picture and the results of cutting the pattern.

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: I Come for Opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:24 am »
Hi Paul...Hard to find any faults in that pattern..Anyone who knew that dog would know it was him from your cutting without looking at original photo.Even the bandana and tag are right on.I am not going to say to add or change anything,I think you did an excellant job and your friend will love it.
Gordie

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:31 am »
Paul you did a great job on that pattern.  A pattern from a picture that has large sections of the same coloring is very difficult to do, especially if it is one of those portraits of someone or some animal that you knew.  I once was asked to make a pattern of a cat, no problem right?  Well this cat was all white except the eyes, nose, mouth and very tips of the ears... that was a very difficult pattern to do.  I had to use a lot of artistic license to get it done for them.  You did an excellent job on that.  Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:11 am »
Looks like an excellent job. You did a great job capturing the contrast around the ears where the photo is black-on-black. I don't think that it could be done any better.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Bullfighter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:48:57 pm »
To me as a novis to scrolling it looks very good. I will look in to those programs that you used and try to make some patterns. I have a lot of ideas in my head that could come out on paper.
Peter.

Rover2

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:47 pm »
I am not a pattern maker and can tell that you did a great job.  Keep up the good work.
Al

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:10:52 am »
You did a great job, thanks for sharing.

tdub4ever

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:04:41 am »
Great pattern making and great cutting! Very nice work from start to finish.

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 10:23:02 am »
Looks great to me! Nice job. :-)

Ray

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:00:49 am »
Looks good to me Paul good job

Dave

rob roy

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:00:52 am »
Great job Paul, on a difficult pattern and cut. very well done and thanks for sharing.
Rob Roy.

pddesertrat

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 11:49:24 am »
Thanks for the very nice comments.  I guess what I would like to improve at, and maybe practice will help me improve, or maybe I will find I'm just not an artist, but there are two areas I think I wish I had done better. 1) the eyes, the dog, have very "kind" eyes, my rendition, the eyes look "worried" or "concerned".  2) the mouth line.  The picture doesn't look like he is pouting, in my picture I see a pout.

Not sure how to do it better in the future.  Like I stated, maybe practice.  I know I have no artistic ability.  I certainly can't draw.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:04 am »
That's excellent work, on both the pattern and the cutting.  (awesome first attempt at a pattern.)
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 07:45:19 pm »
Very nice job Paul, your better than me, i cant do nothing on pattern.
Pierre

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:18:53 am »
You did a first rate job of the pattern and cutting. You are being ultra critical of your first attempt of pattern making.  My only criticism is the little mark behind his right ear, it did not need to be in the pattern because it is not part of the dog but apart from that Well Done.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi