Author Topic: Vase question  (Read 1082 times)

boxmaker

Vase question
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »
I am sure Jimbo knows the answer to this question. I do not own a lathe, but was wondering how they cut the inside out on a vase, do they do that on a lathe. I see this vase on the morning show and am always fascinated how in the world did they make it. I realize it is probably an in depth answer, but just curious to how it is done. Thanks Mark.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Vase question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »
You turn the outside first to the desired shape then start hollowing, [not that simple], you have a special hollowing tool as it is end grain that is being cut. I have included a pic [sorry it is side ways] this vase is about 9" tall and 5" dia.
It is best to use green wood as it cuts a lot easier
Jimbo

[attachment deleted by admin]

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
Wow!, Thanks Jimbo that's amazing. I can't believe it all stays together when it is turning. Now I know. Thanks Mark.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:31 am »
Turning such a large peice the speed is down to about 700rpm or untill there is no viabration
Jimbo

northie66

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »
How do you know when you've hollowed out as much as you should?  Have you ever hollowed it out too much and it was too thin?

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »
Yes I have gone through the side and bottom, you use calipers for the sides and a ruler to measure the depth
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:45:14 am »
Awesome job, I like the color. Thanks for posting your work.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

BigE

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
That's great work on the vase. I learned to use a strong light along with the measuring instruments to get the sides thin without going thru. You can see the tool when the sides get thin with the light on it. Try it sometime.
BigE

SMF

Teknoromi